M37 Power Steering Box Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M37 Power Steering Box Replacement

Well I'm now at about 2,800 miles on my M37 since I brought it back from the graveyard, and just installed my 4th, yes 4th Power Steering Box. And yes I'm sure it's partially do to how I use (abuse) the M and the over-sized Super Swamper Tires.

The 1st Box went into service in 2007
    The 2nd Box went into service November 2010
    The 3rd Box went into service in June 2012
    This Box is going into service in June 2015

So it looks like I get about 3 years of service out of a box.

I encountered a new twist with the installation of this rebuilt box. The hose/line connection ports apparently had bad flare line mating surfaces and the re-builder installed some repair fittings that seal against the box and provide a clean new flare flange for the line to seal against. I tried to use the box with out the one on the High Pressure side, but the hose/line would not tighten/seal. The problem is it moves the lines further inboard, closer to the frame.

The High Pressure line now hit the added flange that I welded to the frame to attach the Power Steering Box Bracket. I had built the flange a little larger than needed but had not had any issue with previous steering boxes. So in order to allow the box to work I had to cut a slot into the flange. Out came the drill and the air saw and dremel tool. Not a lot of clearance for the line but I did not want to cut too much of the flange away, but the material removed should not affect it's strength.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

Comment

Thanks for the report! Interesting about the life of the boxes. I would really like to do this mod to my civilian PW soon.

Clark

Comment

Clark, I'm sure if you aren't abusive or running 39.5x13.5 soft rock crawling tires at 14psi you will get better life out of the box's. I know exactly when I caused the issue with this last box, crawling up a black diamond trail (6c & 6a) over boulders up hill at Flatnasty Off-Road Park in MO. It was still drivable, just had a little bad spot in it and didn't want to take any chances. I suspect at some point O'Reillys will question my warranty replacements and force me to consider seriously trying to cram a ram assist in some place.

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

Comment

Will, I am running 11.00x16's and will just be on road for a while until I get used to the truck. Just now getting it on the road, I hope to have a tag for it soon. So, I shouldn't be taxing the box like you are for some time. :)

Clark

Comment

Steering box

Will,

Have you considered hydro assist to take the stress off the steering? Just finished my first trail ride since the upgrade and the difference is significant. The ram takes 50-60% of the load.

Mike

Comment

Mike I have, but packaging the cylinder on the stock M37 axle is a tight fit. I have some ideas on a unique approach that might work.

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

Steering

Having to place it on the back of the axle does pose unique problems...what's your plan? Brace around the third member and run it over to the spring perch?

Comment

pwr steering

have you guys looked at Charles Talbert's setup? Looks really solid and appears to bolt on. I've been considering this modification, didn't like helitools because you have to notch out the top of the frame and this setup looks like it's difficult to properly position.

Comment

Steering

Not familiar with his setup....full hydro or assist?

Comment

Working...
                    X