Short brake linings to the rear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
    Now I want a 1937 Plymouth! Room, Ride & Comfort.
    We have a 38 Dodge, currently stored about 25 miles from Fairfield. No way to post pics now, but there might be one from a past thread. I have all the chrome for it. It has axles, but no engine or trans. Interior is absolutely shot, but it's there.
    My grandparent's first car was a '38 D8. Same color as this one. They're gone now, but it was neat showing them pics of the 'new' car..

I had planned on putting the poly in it and maybe rodding it just a bit for special date nights, but still no shop, so it's just sitting in storage..

Comment

off track

Chewie,
      This is the D8 that I began this thread about. This photo is 10 years old. It is currently inside a garage.
      David
      Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful Cars, what a collection.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

That's a nice looking car! I like the blue. I tried to post an old pic of ours. It's missing the hood and part of the grill, too.
          Been a while since I 've looked at it, honestly..
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGB View Post
            Clint,
            Thank you for the response. I would first like to acknowledge that there is absolutely no doubt that your knowledge and experience of all things Power Wagon is far greater and superior to mine, and that I have the highest respect for you. ....
            David
            Wow. I posted last night right before going to bed and this thread has really taken off since then. David, thanks for the kind words. I hope you didn't think I was implying, with my rambling post, that you didn't know anything about self-energizing brakes. Quite the contrary. I have a tendency to get kind of long-winded as I try to cover all bases while keeping in mind that there could be some people very new to this who may also be reading.

You probably have more knowledge on the different brake systems that you have described and provided links to supporting information than I do. I have personally worked on only two types of drum brakes - the modern servo brakes and the old Lockheed type, specifically those on my early civilian Power-Wagons. (See, I hoped that someone would quickly point out the correct terminology.)

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
            I Had a very long and detailed conversation with Gordon in reference to exactly this. He had addressed this topic on Joe's Forum, a video I believe was included roughly 3 years ago. I was sitting beside him in his office and I need to be able to find that post he made.

It ended up being a late at night Coca Cola "from a glass bottle" and an entire jar of planters peanuts conversation. I am racking my brain remembering the details.
            Matt, Gordon must have been corresponding with me on the subject at about the same time. I can't remember if he phoned me or if we were emailing back and forth. All of my emails from that time are gone. I do remember though that it was an interesting and lively subject to discuss with him.

Comment

Short to the rear (sometimes?)

Matt,
              Thank you, but sadly I was separated from the 58 NY'er (with a 392 hemi) by a divorce. By the way that is a WC53 body under the tarp.
              Chewie,
              All old cars are beautiful. I may have 2 spare grill halves for that (unchromed) if the need ever arises.
              Clint,
              I was ignorant, and I certainly did not know as much yesterday when I first posted this thread as I do now. That is one of the great things about this forum. Sometimes I learn stuff because I need to do some research in an attempt to be able to respond to replies with at least the appearance of bringing something to the subject. For example, just the need to be able to improve/expand my searches has led me to learn about Lockheed brakes (his original name was Lougheed) and the relationship with Chrysler. The brake style is often referred to as Chrysler-Lockheed. In the Old Ford World this style of brake is considered to be non self actuating and only servo action type are considered self actuating. This may be in part the reason for Mr. Kaegi's position. As I said before I believe a lot of confusion is caused by generic pronouncements in much of the literature on these type of brakes that would have benefitted from being more specific. There are a lot of small variations in design and even the difference between, channel, T-section, and cast shoe style shoes can apparently call for different linings. These styles all appear to be Chrysler-Lockheed assemblies, but only the T-section is shown with the shorter rear lining. (TM-9-1827C pages 41-48)
              Sadly, tomorrow I have to leave my PW and my cars and my manuals and head back to the vicinity of Boston and put on my boat yard hat and try to earn some more money so I can buy some more wheel cylinders etc. The good thing is that I don't have to leave this Forum as well.
              Thank you,
              David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidGB View Post
                Matt,
                Thank you, but sadly I was separated from the 58 NY'er (with a 392 hemi) by a divorce. By the way that is a WC53 body under the tarp.
                Chewie,
                All old cars are beautiful. I may have 2 spare grill halves for that (unchromed) if the need ever arises.
                David
                I may take you up on that offer, David..

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                  Now I want a 1937 Plymouth! Room, Ride & Comfort.
                  I thought maybe I'd hear from Will about this ..

Comment

Yea, I still hope to some day own a 1934/35 Dodge Pickup or a 1932 Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler!
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Working...
                    X