Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lookng for advice

1973 w200 360 adventurer

I pulled apart the top end of my motor this weekend after finding 0 compression on the 8th cylinder. I found that there was a burnt exhaust valve. The motor has low miles on it and looking for advice top end rebuild any and all comments are appreciated

So the rebuild parts are cast iron heads cast #4027596 tear off from a crate motor
    offenhauser dual port 360 intake
    and 650 4 barrel edelbrock

I know that the question to follow has been discussed in many thread but was looking for feedback and suggestions as to cam and well now exhaust manifold. Much thanks in advance. The cam looks ok from inspection but figured now is my chance to modify while i have it open.

Stunt man M

How far to dig into this thing depends on how long you want to keep it & how much you into use it.

I'd definitely replace or repair the heads.

Intake/carb/manifolds if you have the money & intend to use the truck regularly.

Cam or other upgrades if you plan to drive the truck extensively.

Bucky

Comment

Most of what you've got sounds reasonable. Be careful if you change the cam. Overcamming (and overcarbing) is the kiss of death for a street engine, especially if you don't have the compression and port flow to handle the fuel/air you're trying to get in there.

If you're leaving the short block stock and have 8:1 compression (or will when the valves seal), you might consider a Hughes Whiplash cam (if you decide you want to change). A buddy of mine put one in a stock 70's motor home short block in his 70's W200 crew cab, it sounds nice and it really woke the motor up. His engine is a 440 but they make a 318/340/360 version as well.

As far as exhaust, you will be fine with factory manifolds as long as they are in good condition and seal properly.

If you are looking for a little more performance, some mild machine work on the heads will pay better dividends than almost anything else... if you know a reputable shop who can do it. A really good performance valve job with a little bowl blending and a deep port match to the intake and exhaust manifolds is plenty.

But maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse here. Have you figured out why it burnt the valves in the first place?

Comment

WWW.Camquest.com is a good program to help you choose a cam and allows you to input your various components which then spits you out a power and torque curve. I used it for my build and settled on a cam that suits the way I want my truck to perform. Try it and see what it tells you.

Comment

If it's a '73 360 there is a good chance he has "J" heads. Non hardened seats and unleaded gas just eats them up. I would strongly recommend having your original heads looked at to see if they can be redone with hardened seats. A simple dual plane intake and 600-750 sized carb and you will have a great motor.
          Look between the spark plugs there will be a large raised "J" in the casting.

Comment

[QUOTE=76WAGON200;111302]WWW.Camquest.com is a good program to help you choose a cam..QUOTE]

I tried that page. All it would show me is their phone number and asked me to call a live rep..

Comment

Working...
            X