Restorable???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JReed View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I looked into urethane for setting and it looks like it might be a good way to go, not sure how easy it would be to unset down the road though if need be. I'll see what the powder coat guy says as far as being able to get coverage in the channel. Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of urethane over setting tape? Sounds like its more leak proof anyway...
    Coverage in the channel where the window sits shouldn't be a big deal, I meant getting coverage inside the frame itself. The hollow sections will collect water and can rust from the inside out. I'm planning on just painting mine, so I figured I'd just pour some thinned epoxy into the frame beforehand. Anything that leaks out just means it's gotten in all the gaps, then I can wipe off the leakeage and paint the exterior. But I don't think the primer would hold up in the oven if I powder coated the exterior, and I'd worry about wiping any leaked epoxy from the frame with a paint thinner after it was powder coated.

The setting tape would be easier to disassemble down the road but as you surmise it's not going to be as water proof as the urethane. However you kind of need both from what I've heard anyway. Small pieces of setting tape are useful to hold the glass centered in the channel while the urethane sets. Removal wouldn't be fun later, especially without damaging the frame. Need to find a patient glass guy, but hopefully that would be far in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
      Coverage in the channel where the window sits shouldn't be a big deal, I meant getting coverage inside the frame itself. The hollow sections will collect water and can rust from the inside out. I'm planning on just painting mine, so I figured I'd just pour some thinned epoxy into the frame beforehand. Anything that leaks out just means it's gotten in all the gaps, then I can wipe off the leakeage and paint the exterior. But I don't think the primer would hold up in the oven if I powder coated the exterior, and I'd worry about wiping any leaked epoxy from the frame with a paint thinner after it was powder coated.

The setting tape would be easier to disassemble down the road but as you surmise it's not going to be as water proof as the urethane. However you kind of need both from what I've heard anyway. Small pieces of setting tape are useful to hold the glass centered in the channel while the urethane sets. Removal wouldn't be fun later, especially without damaging the frame. Need to find a patient glass guy, but hopefully that would be far in the future.
      I see what you mean. I pulled the frame apart just the other night and hadn't paid much attention to how it was built. I thought that just the center divider was hallow. Guess the whole thing was bent and hemmed into stock and then curved to form a frame. Doesn't look very easy to seal. I think you have the right idea though.
      Attached Files

Comment

Greg, got kinda busy this weekend, but free now so these should give an idea where things are at. These first pics are about a month back. I stripped the cab and front end all down and built a cart to make it easy to roll around a shop and to hold everything as if on the frame. Had everything blasted, now its with a guy down in Fort Collins who's straightening and painting it for me. I was comfortable doing the fenders, splash guards, floor board and what not myself because I had them all covered in line-x. Figured if I wasn't able to get things perfect it wouldn't show. Anyway all of that turned out well with a bit of hammer and dolly work. I don't have the time or know how to do the rest of it very well though, even though it wasn't in too bad a shape.
        Attached Files

Comment

As far as the bed goes, most of it is new. I had a lot of fitment problems with things, but I've got them all straightened out now. In the past I've made the mistake of painting or powder coating repro parts before I did a mockup and cost myself a lot. Anyway, trying not to do that anymore. I got an old M-37 two piece rear bumper and cut it to fit the power wagon. Actually ended up over cutting a bit because I forgot I hadn't put the bed up on pads yet, also the rear cross member was hangin a bit low. The rear end is all fitting well now so I just pulled it apart again and I'm gettin it carted up to send to paint.
          Attached Files

Comment

Window channel trick

place setting tape at the bottom of the window channel. Urethane the glass into place. Now the window is sealed but you can remove the glass when necessary.
            As to the inside of the frame, shoot Fluid film down the inside of the frame. Do this top and bottom just before assembly. This should help with the issues you described or are concerned about.

Comment

The powder coat looks great on those Bumperette's!

Comment

I'll be varnishing the bed wood soon, but I'm might first cut a hole of some sort to make and access panel for the sending unit. I'm pretty sure I've seen this done on a truck or two I've come by online and it seems like a good idea to me. Aside from that I'll be running the fuel line, bleeding the brakes and getting all my fluids put in while the body is away. Might start on some glass too as soon as it gets here. A guy in Billings is cutting my glass. I got 1/4" tempered bronzed for the back and sides and clear laminate up front of course. The front bumper line-x'ed, haven't got around to rebuilding the winch yet. I'll probably wait on that till everything else is done.
                Attached Files

Comment

Couple more. I'm not painting the truck black, tailgate is just in primer cause I used some filler and wanted to get it covered. Anyway, hope putting this many pics up at once isn't in bad taste. Ill try and keep things up to date as I go from here. Oh, Desoto 61, just realized who you were. I've been watching your thread and thats an awesome build. I think trucks like yours and seeing people on here with your skills makes me somewhat hesitant to share mine, ha. Doesn't seem as interesting, and I'm definitely outsourcing more. I don't know a lot about this stuff. To be honest I think my only real skill is putting things back basically how I found them, hopefully in the end the thing will run.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                    place setting tape at the bottom of the window channel. Urethane the glass into place. Now the window is sealed but you can remove the glass when necessary.
                    As to the inside of the frame, shoot Fluid film down the inside of the frame. Do this top and bottom just before assembly. This should help with the issues you described or are concerned about.
                    Bruce, thanks for the tip. And I had never heard of Fluid Film. I think I'll go ahead and powder coat the thing and try to do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                      The powder coat looks great on those Bumperette's!
                      They're actually done in line-x. But yeah turned out well. The running boards, fenders, and front and rear bumpers are all line-x'ed. I'd actually have preferred gloss black on the fenders and running boards, but I just don't like how black paint shows scratches. And unfortunately a lot of my friends can't seem to keep their hands off paint when it gets dirt on it, so I had to play it safe. Probably be better on the trails this way too

Comment

Originally posted by JReed View Post
                        Couple more. I'm not painting the truck black, tailgate is just in primer cause I used some filler and wanted to get it covered. Anyway, hope putting this many pics up at once isn't in bad taste. Ill try and keep things up to date as I go from here. Oh, Desoto 61, just realized who you were. I've been watching your thread and thats an awesome build. I think trucks like yours and seeing people on here with your skills makes me somewhat hesitant to share mine, ha. Doesn't seem as interesting, and I'm definitely outsourcing more. I don't know a lot about this stuff. To be honest I think my only real skill is putting things back basically how I found them, hopefully in the end the thing will run.
                        Ha, I don't have any skills, it just appears that way! Seriously, I've never done half of this stuff, I'm just too dumb to know how hard it is before I try! Honestly the paint is far from perfect, but photos do a great job of not showing the little blemishes I'll need to fuss at eventually.

Thanks for the compliemnt though. I know what you mean about not wanting to document the mistakes but I try to do that too, just so people don't think I'm some expert, or maybe learn something from it. My latest one was ordering fasterners for the doors off of memory and painting the heads before checking they were the correct fasteners, which they weren't. So I get to do that again!

Keep up the good work. I'm definitely learning that it is probably money well spent to let someone else throw the paint. I'm OK with the primer and filler, but finish paint is hard in my little garage, so you're just ahead of the curve.

Comment

@ JReed = Kudos man - This truck is going to look unbelievable.

You guys are certainly setting the bar right up there.
                          Keep the pics coming.

I will start posting pics of my rebuild as soon as I work out where I can store them for retrieval and posting on the forum.

Greg.

Comment

Pictures

If you have pictures on your computer you can post them directly to this site. By doing it in this manner the pictures will stay here as long as the site is maintained. When you use a separate host site the pictures get lost and will not show up on this thread after you stop using the host site. We have many examples of this on the PWA threads. Very annoying to not have the pictures as a reference .

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Waspworks View Post
                              @ JReed = Kudos man - This truck is going to look unbelievable.

You guys are certainly setting the bar right up there.
                              Keep the pics coming.

I will start posting pics of my rebuild as soon as I work out where I can store them for retrieval and posting on the forum.

Greg.
                              Thanks. What is it you're workin on? WC, Power Wagon, M-37? I haven't spent much time on here so I'm kinda putting together who's who. Tore some muscles in my upper back, so I'm not workin today. Gives me time to explore the forum some. Those WC-53's that Bruce in BC and Alxj(?) are building are pretty impressive.

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                                If you have pictures on your computer you can post them directly to this site. By doing it in this manner the pictures will stay here as long as the site is maintained. When you use a separate host site the pictures get lost and will not show up on this thread after you stop using the host site. We have many examples of this on the PWA threads. Very annoying to not have the pictures as a reference .

Bruce
                                Thanks Bruce but when I tried "insert image" I was only presented with the option to "Please enter the URL of your image:" ??? and not to be able to upload to a site bank or anything like that.
                                Plus they seem to only allow tiny files at 125kb and 800 pix wide?

I managed to attach the pic you see below (current project shows direction i am taking), but seems to be no way of placing it between text or dictating where it lands in the story line.

I have a lot to show and say but dont have the tech know how at the moment.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X