No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugg: My goal is 3. One for each boy. I have time yet. they are only 6,9,12.
    I will have one running this year.

Jake: It would be hard to raise the ceiling, the second floor is packed full. I am in the process (3 years) of building a 24 X 40 shed to make room in this shed. I built my own band saw mill and cut all the timbers, rafters and boards myself. It is farther along than the pix shows.

Bruce: I am not abig fan of body work, but I was going to tackle that dent the same way you suggested. Both my Carryalls are missing the lower rear doors.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Jawgroth,
      I am envious of the space you have to work with on your place.
      Lets see, you built your own bandsaw, you are building a post and beam shop, each of the boys gets a Carryall?? Hhmmmm.
      Where I live you would have to go thruogh alot of red tape just to use your own beams from your own land.
      It sounds like you have a lot going for you, the kids will learn alot from all this as well, good old fasioned hard work and commoen sense! What more could anyone want.
      Keep up the good work my friend.

Comment

Ditto!
        I'm jealous too!
        MN

Comment

BC Bruce:

I see that smoosh is a kinda generic term. HA! I really don't know how many INTACT 53's there are anymore. A bunch went to Los Alamos, and a bunch went up to your neck of the woods for the Alcan. You know the reason why they quit makin the Carryall's don't ya? High priority targets, easily ID'd from ground and air. That's the offical reason, but they were used in ALL theaters of operation until the end of the war. I've got some pictures of Carryall's being unloaded off of Rhino barges at Omaha ON D Day.

Jawgroth:

ONLY 3? Like I said, when I replace that drivers side body panel you can have the corner off the old one. That part is still in good condition. Seeing that picture REALLY makes me jealous. HA!

Jake:

It might backfire too. the kids can also learn thats what they DON'T want to do. HA!

Later
          Ugg

Comment

The rarest WC53 turnsignal in the world ?????

Ever seen one of these before ? I buffed up the aluminum but it will most likely end up painted. It is about 2.5 inches across . Got the mate for it too. Which I seem to have misplaced . There is a number on the back D2466 SCH40 PVCINSF-pw . The pw must mean Power Wagon . I guess this is a later model part .

Progress update . I more or less have the top of the rad shell repaired , There was some stress cracks in the corners and the corners had sprung out about 3 /16 . The hood and bottom rad shell seemed to fit together better with the slight spread than if I sucked the corners back to their original manufactured shape . So I filled in the gaps and left it in its new settled shape . I did this using a bit of TIG here and MIG there.

Kids birthday today .
            Invited her whole class....................

Bruce
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow!
              That doesn't look like any indicator that I have seen before, a very unique arrow?
              MN

Comment

Clearly that is yet another fine example of a Dodge Engineering 1st! They even invented the Smiley Face!!!

Comment

Got a few hours in last night . four of them .

Productive hours for a change . I did not find myself standing in the middle of the shop starring off into space . Nor did I get upset about how darn slow the darn job is going .
                  I spent 1/2 an hour cleaning up the sand blaster and another 3 hours working on the rad shroud and right rear fender . The fender is now totally stripped . This took about 2 hours to remove all the stubborn paint . I put a jack on the fender in an effort to straighten out the rear which looks odd and has a twist in it . I finally took it off and stood on the leading edge and quite litterly twisted the thing . Imagine a propeller and you get the idea . It looks better but I stripped one of the mounting nuts .
                  I need to replace the nut before I can tighten down the fender and see what the end results look like . That is the thing with fenders , you never know how they will look until every bolt is tightened home .
                  The rad shell top is totally stripped and now ready for primer . I have some work to do stripping the lower pieces and welding some small tears .

Going hiking

Bruce

PPG paint 250 a gallon up here for enamel.

Comment

A couple of bare metal rear fender shots

It is a pity that all that shiny metal work need s to get bathed in paint . If you look closely you will see the patch at the bottom of the fender. Hopefully no filler will be needed on this fender . That patch is pretty much seamless .

Bruce
                    Attached Files

Comment

Drivetrain

Bruce, what drivetrain is in that carryall? Those rear axles and springs look different?

Comment

Bruce,

It continues to look great. I laughed when I read the part about staring off into space - I'm guilty of that!

You're making progress.

Comment

.....guilty......of .......what......?
                          Oh....never.....mind........
                          MN

Comment

Nice work Bruce,
                            I have a position open at my shop for a trademan like yourself.
                            Benifits include free coffee, free music, free use of any tools you run across and all the work anyone could ever want.
                            Don;t make any snap decisions, this is a very low stress position with huge benifits like feeling productive and teaching me a thing or two about metal whispering.

Comment

And you appear to be close enough for him to commute....
                              MN

Comment

For Canada we are practilly neighbors. About 16 hours by dogsled I would think. I've been using those new fangled gas powered snow sleds so I would'nt know for sure, maybe Bruce knows how long it would take to mush them thar dogs over the pass?

Comment

Working...
                                X