Directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directions

Does anyone have directions for putting a 360LA with a NV4500 into an M37?

Not really going to find a "manual" on how to do such a thing. Lots of custom work involved. Uglytruckling used to offer kits that made some of it almost easy, but don't kid yourself, there is no such thing as an "easy" swap in one of these trucks. He may still have some of the parts but getting them is tricky as the owner is out of the country a lot.

Even with the kit, it wasn't set up for an NV4500, so you'd be back on your own with fabricating and installing the trans. Don't forget that most of the Dodge 2WD NV4500s are too long to fit in front of the stock transfer case, which means chucking it or moving it back, which changes driveshaft angles, and on down the line.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, and will be more than happy to lend any assistance I can, but as someone who's been doing a swap for the last 7 years, it's not a weekend project to do it and do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by antpreson View Post
      Does anyone have directions for putting a 360LA with a NV4500 into an M37?
      There are several posts on this site regarding this installation. Do a search for NV4500.

Frank

Comment

Frank, can you tell me exactly how far back you moved the transfer case? Did it mess up the angle of the rear drive shaft so that it had to be changed? Also, did you use the stock radiator? I have the radiator that came with my donor engine and it is thinner than the m's so I may use it. Any tips would be helpful.

Comment

I moved the transfer case back 4". I shimmed the case to equalize the driveline angle. http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ghlight=nv4500

I used the stock radiator.

Frank

Comment

My v-8 Install was with the Hydraulic Bell-housing and an NP435, I left the transfer-case in it's stock location and shortened the intermediate drive shaft.
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

The NV4500/360 combination is about 9" longer than the stock 230/NP420 setup, and that's with the short GM 2 wheel drive tailshaft. To keep an intermediate shaft I moved the transfer case back which ended up working well.

Frank

Comment

Frank, Wow 9", that's a lot of extra length, my V-8 set up was only about 1" longer.
                I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Yes, the 2WD Dodge NV4500 has a stupid-long tail shaft on it, that's the main reason I used the Chevy version for my conversion. I had already rebuilt the t-case, plus there were some other packaging benefits.

If you're at the point of shifting the t-case back you may want to consider buying a 4WD NV4500 and using an attached transfer case, it should minimize the overall driveline length difference.

The later NV4500's were essentially the same between Dodge and Chevy (after 94 I think) as far as case and gear ratios, you could probably look at using the Chevy 2WD case and swapping in the Dodge input shaft to work with the adapter too. That might get you short enough to get everything to fit.

Comment

Thanks Frank. I'm copying your setup and am in the early stages. I'm not a full member of the site and can't search much or follow your link, sorry, I'm sure you've answered all of these questions before. I appreciate your patience.

Comment

Working...
                    X