No announcement yet.

6 Cylinder Flat Head Fuel Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would check for fuel line contamination first. Fuel filter in tank could be plugged and any other installed filter as well.

Frank

Comment

Would fuel line contamination clear itself? All the lines and tank are new. The fuel pump is new.

Comment

Not likely on contamination clearing itself, but I have seen stranger things.

From what you wrote I think you ran out of fuel.

It takes a lot to re-prime this system.
        With as little as gas you had it could have vapor locked although I believe you were only in the 80's .

I would check the filters and make sure there clear and drive it some more.
        You might also take a cheap ice cooler with you so you can ice soak a rag and wrap it around the Carb. and fuel pump to momentarily cool them in the event it is vapor lock and quits again.

And by all means keep gas in the thing!!
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I was thinking that I might have run out of fuel. I called AAA who came with 2 gallons. It wouldn't start. They called for a flatbed which took about an hour. I tried several times over the hour to start it with no luck. A 20 minute ride home, unloaded off the flat bed. I tried starting it again, it started just fine. I drove to the gas station, it took 20 gallons. Doing the math I should have had about 5 or 6 gallons of fuel when it quit. I'm thinking electric fuel pump too.

Comment

The electric pump is a good idea to have as a backup. I have used them on all my trucks. Get one like Cheyenne Dave used in post #13, I believe it is a Carter. That type of pump allows good flow through the pump when you are using the diaphram pump on the engine.

Frank

Comment

Hey there, Chip! My belated congratulations on on having one of Gordon's treasures.

I installed an electric pump on GUS years ago as an auxiliary unit, upon discovering his tendency to vapor lock under hot summer conditions, high elevation or long periods of extreme vertical climbs. This happened even with the heat shield in place.

When I started building high performance versions of the 230 engine, I discovered that the forward exhaust header was way too close to the pump, and would need to be removed to allow pump replacement. So an electric pump at the rear of the truck cured several problems with a single stroke. I liked it so much I finally removed the mechanical pump on GUS as well. I keep a spare electric pump on board but have never had to use it. Replacement can be done anywhere using simple tools, with no mess or burns.

If you plan on going the electric pump route, consider installing a safety switch in the oil pressure line to the gauge.

Good luck!

cd
              Attached Files
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
              1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor
              1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
              UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Gordon's Treasurers

I'm having a ball with one of Gordon's Treasures. I'm working on a story for the Advertiser.

I've been doing research and talking people. I'm going to use a Airtech OS75 oil pressure switch as the safety. It's a SPDT switch. With no pressure it connects to the starter switch. With pressure it connects to the battery. I'm using the Holly 12-804 regulator, a 0-15 psi gauge, and the Carter P4603HD Pump.

Matt Welcher suggests I leave the mechanical pump in place and keep the pressure below 5 PSI.

Comment

Working...
                X