Rear axle seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle seal replacement

I had spotted grease on my rear brakes so I bought all new brakes for all 4 wheels and a rear axle seal kit to do all the gaskets and seals on the rear axle.

I had some worries about diving into the job. My main worry was that when I slid out the axle shaf it would be a pain to get it lined back up and into the diff.

I followed the instructions in the TM and it went like a dream both out and back in. The hardest part was pulling the brake spring back into place without the aid of the proper tool. It was almost fun, heck it was fun.

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
    The hardest part was pulling the brake spring back into place without the aid of the proper tool.
    So, how did you pull the brake spring back into place with out the proper tool?

Comment

Years ago I did it the first time with vice grips and a lot of determination.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

That's what I have used when unable to find my brake spring tool, was looking for any other possible ways to do a difficult job for the shade tree mechanics among us Gordon.

Comment

Break spring pliers work the best on riveted shoes. They don't work quite so well on bonded shoes.

Comment

Ha, I see I am not the Lone Ranger in having a tussle with that blinking spring.

Actually it was very simple to do. I had taken out the lower adjusters while it was apart to inspect and lube them anyway so what I did was to re-install the front shoe and adjuster, install the spring on the front shoe that was in place , then hook the spring to the back shoe W/O the lower adjuster inplace so the bottom of the back shoe was free to move very far forward. With my thumb I popped the top of the rear shoe into the slot on the cylinder and then it was very easy to just swing the bottom of the rear shoe over in place and insert the lower rear adjuster and ,Bingo done.

Comment

I'll try that, I also have to replace my trucks seal and install new shoes since the old ones have gotten oil soaked.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                Ha, I see I am not the Lone Ranger in having a tussle with that blinking spring.

Actually it was very simple to do. I had taken out the lower adjusters while it was apart to inspect and lube them anyway so what I did was to re-install the front shoe and adjuster, install the spring on the front shoe that was in place , then hook the spring to the back shoe W/O the lower adjuster inplace so the bottom of the back shoe was free to move very far forward. With my thumb I popped the top of the rear shoe into the slot on the cylinder and then it was very easy to just swing the bottom of the rear shoe over in place and insert the lower rear adjuster and ,Bingo done.
                Great strategy!

Comment

One other item. I wanted to redo the wheel cylinders while it was apart. I went to all the normal places to get a cylinder repair kit. I even went to Autozone. The prices ranged from $11.00 a kit plus shipping to $14.99 .

Then I stumbled on carpartsdiscount.com. They had in stock the exact parts for $7.80 ,,AND the parts were at my door in two days.

The parts were new, not crispy NOS and look to be very good and they fit up very well.

Comment

Working...
                  X