T.O. bearing and sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.O. bearing and sleeve

I ordered a new T.O.bearing with sleeve and the bearing fits inside the sleeve very loose,will just fall out if you turn it over. Is this right? I would think that it should at least have a press fit or the bearings O.D.would just spin in the sleeve. It would not spin as a bearing should, on it's rollers.
    Let me know if I'm wrong on this.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ken

Throwout bearing?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Yes Sir.

Comment

I am not properly visualizing something. The throwout bearing assembly, which includes a bearing and something the bearing fits upon, should have a bore in the middle of it that slides on the front bearing retainer of the transmission.

You seem to be describing the fit of the outside diameter [OD] of the bearing inside of something else. I'm struggling to get my mental image and your description meshed together.

Do you really mean to say that the fit of the inside diameter of the bearing on the outside diameter of the carrier is loose?

The relationship between the inside diameter of the bearing and the outside diameter of the carrier should be an interference fit. For example, if the inside diameter of the bearing is .001 in. smaller than the outside diameter of the carrier that would define an interference fit. Interference in this context means two pieces of material are trying to occupy the same space at the same time — they interfere with one another.

The inner race of the bearing should not spin on the carrier — the inner race of the bearing should remain stationary in relationship to the carrier.

Talk to me some more.

Comment

Boy I tell you this getting old stuff is tuff.
          Let me correct myself on this. There is a sleeve that the end fits into the I.D. of the bearing . This sleeve then fits over the output on the tranny. This slides back and forth to engage the clutch pressure plate. The bearing and sleeve that I received dosn't have a press fit and the bearing just falls off. There I think I got it right this time. But like you said it needs to have a press fit in order for the bearing to hork properly or it will just chew up the sleeve.
          \Ken

Comment

Yes, an interference fit, though not a heavy one, is necessary. Your bearing carrier is worn.

Comment

Thanks
              Sorry for the confusion.
              ken

Comment

You can knurl the outside of the bearing holder to get the fit you want.
                Any machine shop can do it in five minutes. The old bearing may have froze up at one time and spun on the sleeve and wore it down a bit.
                I have a lathe and I ran into the same problem . Knurling it worked and I have not had any problems in 3 years .
                PLus when you press the clutch the bearing will be pressed to the back of the sleeve and the inner race will press against the holder and stop it from spinning.
                Worst case is you break down and buy a new one , I dont think they are all that expensive.

Comment

Working...
                X