Help me pick a color!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a color!!!

As some know, I am resto-modding a WC53. Some like it, some are upset by it; either way I do need some help on this because I'm terrible at making such a big decision as this.

Paint colors are getting to me. I'm really hung up on this and the reason being is as follows: I know for a fact that this was a Navy truck during WWII and was stationed at the Naval Base in San Diego. At a point in the war, it was the largest Naval Base in the world and now the truck lives but only a few miles from the largest Naval Base in present times, N.O.B.

Now, fast forward to my plans.. and the original deck boards from the USS North Carolina. If you don't know, I have enough original boards from the 1992 rehab to replace the original teak floors in the back of the truck. With all of this I feel that it may be necessary to return this machine into a Navy colored truck. In my head , during the the entire process, this thing has been OD green.. and the interior plans were OD Green with brown Duck/canvas seats.. But with the silver airstream in tow (my wife has a '68 Airstream we are going to haul with this truck), the Alloy Hutchinsons that I'd rather not paint, the battleship deck boards for a rear floor, and the proximity to still the largest Naval Base... Dunno... I am leaning towards the blue/gray colors but I am afraid of too gray, or too blue. I kinda fell in love with the picture of the WC63 thats floating around.

Here is a photo of the dash decal that the first restorer found when he started into the truck. He decided to paint the truck OD green the first time the truck was "restored".

And I think this is quite nice looking. Its more blue than the color it should be, and I am even thinking a touch darker for mine. I think Gary's silver WC53 is really sharp too, but I don't want to replicate exactly whats been done and am still keeping mine in a more military theme. What say ya guys?

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Carryall Color

I think the Navy colors look great on the Carryalls. I know there are variations, but do not know how to describe them. I think I like a little blue to the gray. I will search for pictures and if I turn up any along these lines I will post here.
    David
    PS I agree that color selection can be about the hardest part of bringing a vehicle back to life.

Comment

paint color

Search google for hotrod flatz, modern urethane paints in a satin finish geared towards the ratrod crowd. they have quite a few military looking greens, browns, grays. this is a real automotive paint, much better than the popular aervoe or Gillespie most restorers are using.

Comment

I've always liked lighter colors on our Dodge trucks, even though I'm painting my 6x6 dark green. I think the lighter colors show off the contours of the truck better.

I've liked this Carryall from the minute I saw it. This may not be quite the gray you are looking for, but I think gray will look amazing on your truck. Especially give the truck's history.

I agree the choosing a paint color may be the hardest part of building a truck.
        Attached Files
        Greg Coffin
        Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
        1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
        1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
        1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
        1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
        1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

I would go for Gun Metal gray and change it up with a different shade of powdered Mica in the formula. Find a parts house that will let you play with the paint.

Nothing says wow like a color that hasn't existed until you make it.

I did this many times when a customer wanted a cool color on a custom build, find a shade or hue close to what you like and jazz it up a little. Just make sure you make extra and track the weight and or amount of what additional you add to the paint so it can be replicated for touch up.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
          X