• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where I belong, 55 power giant 4x4

New to the forum, sharing my project. 55 3 ton coleman 4x4

More pics

Comment

Located a 57 with a 354 hemi for donor parts. I am not a body man, so tearing down now and dropping off front clip and doors for repair at restoration shop.

Comment

Searching for a 9 foot stepside for it. Big pickup for street use, car shows etc.

Comment

This is as good a place as any. Although your 55 was never a 4x4 it's pretty mean looking now. What drive train are you running now? You may have found out that 9 ft beds are very scarce and pricey if you do find one. Since your truck is a custom you may want to look into making/ having a bed made for it. You can buy the head board, tail gate and other parts from Mar K Products to help in the process. The rear fenders are the same from 53-85. I had a set of fender flares from a D 700 that might work on your truck if I can find them. Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Actually this one always was a 4x4 built by coleman manufacturing. I added the big tires and removed the fender flairs to clear them. My grandfather remembers this truck working in the 60's. Its the real deal, not a hack job.

Comment

Comment

Comment

7.87 geared dana Timken axles, coleman manufacturing transfer case. This has a stacked 2nd frame on the rear to match the front lift. Later colemans were just cut and stacked without additional frame. Power steering and brakes. It is one rare and wild truck. Used to have 900-20 dualies, a dump box, and belly blade.

Comment

WOW, nice find. What did it look like before the oversize tires?
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Kind of an oddity though. Colemans had big 6 lug wheels and this has the 10 hole. Maybe a very early build. Still trying to figure this one out. Those wheel openings are factory, note the cutaway on the front valance. It is straight on the replacements Ive looked at. Going to have to straighten what I got.

Comment

Originally posted by unbreakable View Post
                        7.87 geared dana Timken axles, coleman manufacturing transfer case. This has a stacked 2nd frame on the rear to match the front lift. Later colemans were just cut and stacked without additional frame. Power steering and brakes. It is one rare and wild truck. Used to have 900-20 dualies, a dump box, and belly blade.
                        Interesting truck, and a rare Coleman conversion.

Never heard of a Dana Timken axle. Some sort of joint venture between the two companies? I thought the Coleman conversions used their own proprietary front axle design, with an unusual hub.

Comment

Why I am here. Trying to figure this one out. Tag says dana Timken from the big DTA tag. Coleman front ends had more of a ball in the center of the hub. When I tear down the front for brakes and bearings I will know more about the front axle. Colemans had a solid axle with no ujoint or birfield type pivot. The hub was what allowed them to turn. The other coleman conversions I've seen also have the big 6 lug dodge pattern, not this hub piloted 10 bolt. From what Ive been told on another website, these trucks were built for the Standard Oil Company for oil exploration in Saudi Arabia and Alaska. The other ones had 58 front clips on them.

Comment

Can you believe someone brought this into the scrapyard? I unload customers with a big 4 finger material handler and I just couldn't put that claw through the roof to lift it off the trailer. I gave up a weeks pay to bring it home.

Comment

Thank you for

saving it!!! What a find. Don't know where you're located, but there is a 1 ton Power Wagon here in Washington state, with a 9' bed on Craigslist for 1,000.00. Best of luck with your project!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X