65 townie body work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darryl in Austin View Post
    Where is a good place to get brake lines, hoses, flangers, benders etc. and which are the best and easiest to work with?

Darryl
    The very best tubing benders I have seen are made by Imperial Eastman. Google Imperial Eastman tubing bender; you will find examples and vendors.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but they are more versatile and capable than any other design. The downside is they tend to be diameter-dedicated. Each tool only does one or two diameters.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

For lines and hoses I go to Napa, some of the box places like Autozone, Advance,etc have started to carry the hoses and brake parts too. I have a tubing bender that has a two die wheels that interchange on the handle. It works for what I've done and is relatively inexpensice. I've been eyeing a tubing pliers from Eastwood that will do those fine tuning bends you always seem to need at the ends of your tubing. For double flares there are the higher dollar units but I use a Lisle flaring tool to get the job done.

Comment

Tubing Bender

I have a triple head tubing bender similar to Imperial Eastman's 368-FH. It is made by Blue-Point (probably made by Imperial Eastman). I bought it from Snap-On when I worked as a mechanic. It can bend 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 tubing. It works well but bending 3/8" steel tubing is difficult due to the short handle. If you plan on bending a lot of 3/8" steel tubing, I would buy a bender specifically for this size. Otherwise, it works well for brake lines and similar small tubing. Good luck with your project.

Joe

Comment

Brake hose

Ron,

I went to NAPA for hoses. They couldn't find them, said they didn't have them, order some that didn't fit!@#$%. Do you happen to have any part numbers?
          I need the 2 for the front, which are the same, 1 for the rear, and the short one coming down from the master cylinder. Otherwise I am going to have to have them made special.

Any Help Appreciated.

Darryl

Comment

Did they look in a book or the computer? I'll check into for on my end since my Napa store has always had a better then averge chance of finding what I need . If they don't have the parts I have THE best place anywhere for brake parts here in Ft Wayne. I had Napa get the parts I needed for the 58 I did this summer with no problems. I don't have any parts numbers because I didn't think I'd be called on like I have, I'll remedy that. I'll know something tomorrow.

Comment

They looked on the computer and in the book. The fronts they ordered from the computer, and when they came in the threaded ends where big on one end , which was correct, but smaller on the other end, which was wrong. Both ends are supposed to be the same size. The rear hose they got me will work but does not look to be as high quality as the original,because the hose itself is a smaller diameter and flimsier. If you can come up with a PN or a place that can get them, that would just make my day.

Thanks,

Darryl

Comment

Darrly,

Here is what is on my W500:
                CARQUEST: SP1409
                BENDIX: 88312
                AC-DELCO: 18J929
                AIMCO: B916368
                AMERICAN REMANUFACTURING: 87-46008
                CHRYSLER: 1799547
                CLARK: 550323
                NAPA (BRAKE): 380002
                RAYBESTOS: BH-380002
                WAGNER: F79363

The house only, not the metal brake line, both ends are the same.

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                Will
                WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

W.A.,

Yeah, that's the front brake hose I need. Great Picture. Is that the NAPA 380002.

Thanks,

Darryl

Comment

Yes, those are supposed to be all the numbers that hose is crossed to, Mine are the CARQUEST number/part.

Merry Christmas,
                    Will
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl in Austin View Post
                      W.A.,

Yeah, that's the front brake hose I need. Great Picture. Is that the NAPA 380002.

Thanks,

Darryl
                      I am not sure if the W500 brake hoses are going to be the same length as a 1961-1966 Town Wagon or not?? But I really Doubt it.

The ends are probably going to be the same, but they are going to be to long, if I remember right??

Here is a link for modern part #'s for 1961-1966 Town Wagon and Town Panels

http://www.townwagon.com/sites/tw/parts/modernparts.htm

I have used some of the brake part #'s with good success.

Comment

brake lines and hoses

Got all the brake lines and hoses made at a hydrolic shop, and installed everything the next day. Also, the threaded shaft from the PTO winch cable had broke off inside the shaft on the transfer case. I drilled it out and rethreaded inside and out; got it fixed and back on. trying to make sure and get everything done that needs to be done before I put the body back on.

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting dialed in. Did you do anything with the parking brake? Not to change the subject but have you had the 59 out lately?

Comment

Ron,

I have been driving the 59 almost every day. I love that truck. I have to keep checking the brake fluid though, because it will leak out and twice I have been driving with no brakes and had to avoid hitting someone. Do you have an extra emergency brake system that I could buy from you?

Comment

Good deal, Stubby is in his garage for the winter and will be out next spring. To much salt and slop for him. Sorry I don't have any brakes . Maybe Jonathan Hey in Phoenix has one. Are you missing everything or just need a relined band? I'll shoot you Jonathan's address in an email. You better take time to do the brakes on the 59 before you really can't stop. Do you know where it's leaking? Napa and the box stores have wheel cylnders and masters. I gave up trying to do kits, the insides pit to easily and can't be honed.

Comment

Ron,

You're right about the brakes. I have been putting all my energy into the town wagon and neglecting the work that needs to be done on the power giant.

Comment

Working...
                                X