The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum brake on T case

What T case are you using? If it is a NP205 it takes very little work to get the M37 casting to fit the 205. I like both my emergency brakes. The one on transfer case works great and the disc brake ones work good enough to hold it on a hill. The combination is nice to have when I have to stop on a nasty hill.
    I will look at Perihelion.

edit: here is one for 100 bucks http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/5575686897.html
    not sure if it is the same as the M37 or M715. A bunch of M715 stuff was for sale in Feb.

edit: there is a discussion on the conversion over here, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ied-np205.html
    They do go sideways a bit but the pictures are current.

Comment

• Puzzle pieces

Worked on putting one of the puzzles together. I put the worst pieces together, and came up with this. With some miner sheet metal work, it shouldn't take long to make this look nice. All the rust will be gone for the main structure, then it's as easy as making new skin and putting it back on. It took me longer to figure the photo bucket thing , than the welding.

Comment

• Nice work, James! I'm looking at the pic thinking, Wait a minute, the floor was gone when it left here. Now there's a floor.... Good progress!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
          What T case are you using? If it is a NP205 it takes very little work to get the M37 casting to fit the 205. I like both my emergency brakes. The one on transfer case works great and the disc brake ones work good enough to hold it on a hill. The combination is nice to have when I have to stop on a nasty hill.
          I will look at Perihelion.

edit: here is one for 100 bucks http://tucson.craigslist.org/pts/5575686897.html
          not sure if it is the same as the M37 or M715. A bunch of M715 stuff was for sale in Feb.

edit: there is a discussion on the conversion over here, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ied-np205.html
          They do go sideways a bit but the pictures are current.
          Yep, its a divorced NP205, and sideways is the nature of pirate 4x4. I saw that thread last night. I figure that since I have a stack of nice clean 3/8" HRPO on hand I could fashion up something that fit and worked similarly to the factory drum but operate in a push/pull cable fashion. I thought about going with a disc brake setup too. Its all relative in price it seems whether I go either direction. Drum will seem more correct under the truck however and technically should have better holding power since the band has a greater contact surface than the discs.
          1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• Door pillar

James, can you give me a more detailed pic of the rear door pillar fix. I need to do the same thing. Mine a sheared off on both sides

Comment

• Door pillar

Are you needing the door pillar or the tailgate pillar?
              I use the terms that I used as a firefighter A, B, or C post. When I extricated patients from vehicles there was no mistaking what post we were cutting.

Comment

• Door pillar

Comment

• Door pillar

We have the front door post with the hinges = the "A" pillar.
                  The front door post with the striker plate = the "B" pillar.
                  and the rear posts that the upper and lower gates sit in between, and these are not really the "C" pillar because in most cases the "C" pillar is on 4dr cars.
                  I believe you are talking about the pillar or post with the striker plate, which would be the "B" pillar I beefed mine up my "B" pillar with a flange, interestingly enough there is not a squeak in the Carryall cab anywhere, all the noise is 4bt related.

Comment

• New door pillars

This is how I did it.
                    I basically took a pattern from an original and made a copy. I then took it to a water jet and cut out the pattern. There is a left and a right. The supports then needed to be bent slightly forward, but with the pattern I just followed the contours. I used a bead roller to get the curved flange and then my mag bender for the straight bend on the sheet metal. With a little hammer and dolly work you probably don't need either of the benders, but that's what I used.
                    I will say if it's on the truck and they both sheared off, there are other rust issues at hand. While your cutting it up do some surgical cuts on the inside and fix the other rust issues you will thank yourself later. The post support has sheet metal in the back as well as the front, and sometimes the rust went up a little higher in the back. I found that I ended up cutting out more sheet metal than less worked best for me. I also used a small sandblaster to clean the areas before welding everything back up.

Hope this helps, James

Comment

• Door pillar

Thanks for the pix. That helps a lot. I would have paid good money for a set of those.

Comment

• Three sets

If you have $100 plus shipping I'll send you a pair. I have three sets. They are tig welded and are spot on replacements. It does take some work to cut the old crap out, but well worth it when your done.

James

Comment

• Sold!

Send me an email at jawgroth@tds.net with how you want to be paid and address.

Eric

Comment

• Some of my air-shift parts showed up finally. Clippard takes some time to get things out the door but man are their pieces really nice.

Comment

• Fresh from your neck of the woods Bruce!

NP205 flange with dual bolt patterns.

Comment

• Yep, close except for 30 miles of water

I have a few parts from them. Only issue I have is the wait can be long at times. I have flanges on the front and back of the NP205.
                                I gather those switches are to operate something that runs on air? Maybe some ARBs? I know it is not for a train horn.
                                That console looks great with the switches installed. Even the shifter handle blends in. The shot taken from the rear from eye view is quite telling. The seats turned out great and the whole package pulls everything together. Nothing looks out of place to my eye, except maybe the vents and that may be because I do not have them in my dash. Oddly those vents more or less match the military lights I have in my over head console. They look fine in an aircraft but look a tad out of place in the truck. I do like them for map reading, or some such. I am trying to track down some red bulbs which I may or may not like once the bulbs are installed.
                                That is quite the score on the windshield wipers. Darn good idea to have you wrestle them into place.

take care
                                keep hammering away
                                you are closer than you think
                                Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X