5.9 cummins auto swap to roadranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmcoates View Post
    The RTO9513 is an overdrive tranny. The "R" stands for "Roadranger", the "T" stands for "Twin countershaft", and the "O" stands for "Overdrive", the "9" stands for "9 hundred foot pounds of torque rating", the "5" is the series (?) and the "13" stands for "13 speeds". This tranny weighs about 680 pounds which is about 300 more than the tranny I want. Which is a "R"oadranger "T"win countershaft ( no overdirve ) "6" hundred foot pounds of torque rating "6" series "09" speeds weighing in at 380 pounds which is probably less than my auto and transfer case.

I like shifting.... what can I say. And besides, I heard lots of bad things about the Dodge Cummins standard trannys. I personally think it is stupid to have overdrive which causes the drive shaft to turn faster than the engine which is a greater strain on the engine than having straight drive with a higher rear gear ratio and a lower 1st gear tranny. I plan on changing the rear gear ratio and tire height to make a top speed of about 80 MPH which will put my sweet spot ( max torque RPM ) at about 65 MPH. I'm shooting for 20 MPG. With the double low available if I need it, I think I'll have what I want. I'll be starting this project in the next couple weeks..... I'll keep you guys posted.
    How about an article for the magazine.....write about your project, take some photos, and let's run it in Power Wagon Advertiser, which makes this forum possible? That would be great. Include as much detail as you wish, I can run it in several installments.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

magazine article

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      How about an article for the magazine.....write about your project, take some photos, and let's run it in Power Wagon Advertiser, which makes this forum possible? That would be great. Include as much detail as you wish, I can run it in several installments.

Ha, never had anything in a mag .... sounds interesting. My working conditions are not all that photogenic .... old shop .... in the country ..... pond ..... alligators ... hey, maybe some pics of them in the background may make it even more interesting.

I'll take the pics and post what I know and do and you can be the judge. This may be a 3 - 6 month project.

Comment

Ha, never had anything in a mag .... sounds interesting. My working conditions are not all that photogenic .... old shop .... in the country ..... pond ..... alligators ... hey, maybe some pics of them in the background may make it even more interesting.

I'll take the pics and post what I know and do and you can be the judge. This may be a 3 - 6 month project.
        No, I don't mean post an article here. The article would be different than what you post here, more complete.

Your circumstances are real. That is perfect.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

A lot of us here have old shops and some are in the country...and come to think of it, not even the alligator may be a novelty to the guys in Florida and Louisiana....= )
          I think it would make a great article!

Comment

Speaking of which: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7330051.stm

Comment

Hello, I have been contemplating something similar. I have an 02 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4.

Here is some of the online research I have so far...

http://www.roadranger.com/Roadranger...uide/index.htm

Most of the class 8 transmissions are going to be SAE #0 or SAE #1. I am rather certain that any SAE housing can be found for the cummins 5.9.

Personally I have been eyeballing the Ultrashift LST (10 speed clutchless manual), weighs 680lbs. My factory 47re comes in around 250 lbs. I do not see the added weight being a concern. Then there is clearance. I do believe the Roadranger is taller, I have found a 3" body light that may help.

If anyone else is contemplating this and has some notes to share I would appreciate it. Particularly the bus connection from the truck.

Regards,
              ap0x

Comment

Well, I'd have to say that Gordon Maney's point is very well taken: the weight is a significant factor to consider. You're putting far more weight on the front joints, brakes, axle, steering components and tires than the truck was ever engineered for.

I installed a Cummins 4BT @ 750 lbs, hooked to NV4500 @ 200 lbs, in a D-100. I removed 700 lbs of engine/trans and replaced with 1,000+ lbs. Even with front springs replaced with brand new Eaton Detroit Spring packs up-rated to D-300 specs the weight is very noticeable, and it steers like a boar hog. Installed larger D-300 brakes and front axle plus the springs and though it rides level there's sure a lot of mass up front!

Aside from steering, speaking of trannies, my complaint is NV4500 ratios. Sure wish it wasn't granny low, just a smooth, close ratio 5 speed with o'drive 5th! As it is the ratios stink except 2-3, with a long gap to 4-5. If 2nd gear ratio was 1st, and a smooth gear split all the way to 5th what a dream, but it ain't that way.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieD View Post
                  Aside from steering, speaking of trannies, my complaint is NV4500 ratios. Sure wish it wasn't granny low, just a smooth, close ratio 5 speed with o'drive 5th! As it is the ratios stink except 2-3, with a long gap to 4-5. If 2nd gear ratio was 1st, and a smooth gear split all the way to 5th what a dream, but it ain't that way.
                  Isn't that the luck! 5 million Jeepers looking for the low ratio NV4500 and you have one of the few and don't want it...ha!ha!
                  How much torque does the 4BT have? I have a NV3500 that is rated to 300 lbs and it has a 4.-1 first gear ratio.
                  Same bolt pattern as a Mopar LA.

Comment

Thanks, Mopar Norm! Not sure on the torque as various info out there. Stock many say 330-370, but I did re-pop to the high volume compressor side, added some oomph. I'm pretty sure I'm still under 400 on torque?

Comment

OK .... next chapter

Got the chassis, driveline intact...... ready for the cab next. Notice the 9 speed roadranger fits very well. It has a sae#2 clutch housing. I used a sae# flywheel housing from a ford 7000 with a 5.9 cummins with a 14" clutch ( pull type ) .
                      Attached Files

Comment

Cool!
                        I thought it was a 4x4?

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                          Cool!
                          I thought it was a 4x4?
                          Well it was. The 96 Dodge was anyway. Didn't want a 4x4. ... imagine that!

Comment

... Didn't want a 4x4. ... imagine that!
                            I can't!....= )

Comment

that trans is big... interesting to see how the body goes back on... and the clutch linkage...

Comment

any update???

Comment

Working...
                                X