Crankcase Covers Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase Covers Leak

Hello all, Looking for someone that would have a good idea to seal the 2 crankcase coves on my 49 230 motor. I have am doing a complete frame off resto, the Motor was completely re-built but for some reason after many tries can not stop oil leaks from side covers. Have replace with new gaskets several times (tried both rubber and cork with sealer) and even perched new side covers in case they were not perfectly flat but still leaks. What about a silicone seal gasket? Just at a lost. Any ideas? could too much crankcase pressure be a problem?

Thanks

Several things come to mind here. Some you may already be aware of but I will just run down a short list.

Cork or rubber gaskets can be held in place with a gasket adhesive, but not silicone. Silicone on a gasket will often cause a gasket to migrate out of position as the clamping bolts are tightened.

You may use a stand-alone gasket making product, like the Right Stuff, but it is so high strength that you may tweek the valve covers the next time you take them off. However, they will not leak before then.

Confirm that the valve covers are not leaking around the clamping bolt heads. There are gaskets that are supposed to be used under their heads.

Confirm that the block's gasket surfaces are flat, un-cracked, and have no loose paint.

Confirm that the valve covers themselves are flat, true and free of burrs, imperfections or loose paint.

Do not over-tighten valve cover clamping bolts. They are designed to be tightened by hand, which also allows them to be tightened more evenly.

Hope this is of some help.

CD
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
      Several things come to mind here. Some you may already be aware of but I will just run down a short list.

Cork or rubber gaskets can be held in place with a gasket adhesive, but not silicone. Silicone on a gasket will often cause a gasket to migrate out of position as the clamping bolts are tightened.Yes, I have tried both rubber and Cork , both with and without using Permatex sealer, no luck

You may use a stand-alone gasket making product, like the Right Stuff, but it is so high strength that you may tweek the valve covers the next time you take them off. However, they will not leak before then.I may try this, they are easly cut loose if I ever need to take off

Confirm that the valve covers are not leaking around the clamping bolt heads. There are gaskets that are supposed to be used under their heads. I did replace several times both trying them dry and with gasket sealer

Confirm that the block's gasket surfaces are flat, un-cracked, and have no loose paint.The engine was completely rebuilt, I removed all old paint and masked off area where gasket goes so no paint at these areas just very clean metal

Confirm that the valve covers themselves are flat, true and free of burrs, imperfections or loose paint.The old ones looked to be flat but I got new ones just in case, again no luck

Do not over-tighten valve cover clamping bolts. They are designed to be tightened by hand, which also allows them to be tightened more evenly. This is something I may be doing, may try The Right Stuff and just hand tighten the thumb bolt

Hope this is of some help. Yes and thank you

CD
      See above

Comment

Working...
      X