57-58 weather strip needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57-58 weather strip needed

I've found most parts needed for our Power Giants keyword here is most. I have not found a supplier for the lower door sill weather strip for the 57-58 trucks. This is the one that is held by the lower kick panel below the door sill. Has anyone found this piece? They take a lot of abuse being worn off or dried and cracked.

Ron, I bought outer door weatherstrip from EasyStreet LLC for the '60 W300.
    http://www.easy-streetllc.com/1950-1...rstriping.html

I'm guessing the 57-58 takes a different seal?

Comment

Yes Joe it's a completely separate piece that is captured by the kick panel under the door sill. We are lucky to have suppliers for the door strips with the dog leg now attached as shown in your picture. These aren't real fun to put on with weatherstrip adhesive on both the door and rubber.

Comment

Wow, that's ALOT nicer than the pieces I just received from VPW. At first glance, I thought for sure what I got must be some sort of joke. I'm still not clear how these are supposed to go on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparman View Post
          Wow, that's ALOT nicer than the pieces I just received from VPW. At first glance, I thought for sure what I got must be some sort of joke. I'm still not clear how these are supposed to go on.
          Nothing against VPW but having the dogleg molded in line is a huge help. I get mine from Clester's Auto parts in NC. They have window rubber and other parts as well for the 57-60 trucks. If you have this weather stripping it's pretty self explanatory on how it goes on or I can walk your through it. I've done a number of these and have a 57 I'm doing currently.

Comment

isn't there a right and left dog leg?

Easy street says doors are a 4 piece set, remembering from the only set I ever installed back in the 70's, the dog-leg or block goes at the upper hinge. Does Clester also have the dog-leg in their sets? When you install the block, right and left doors are a mirror of each other....?
            I'm gonna need to replace them also some day.
            DrPepper

Comment

Clesters says their weatherstrip has the dogleg molded in and it's a one piece deal. I had to use a 4 piece set up on the last truck I did since it was provided. It not nearly as nice as a one piece with the dogleg. I'm getting ready to install the new one piece on a 57 I'm finishing up now. The trick is getting adhesive on the door and weatherstrip where it belongs and not on you or the door where it doesn't belong.

Comment

Good to know...

I'm looking forward to a full report and "how too" on the installation...and all your fun trying to get the 3M glop off your fingers. Is it still that stinky yellow 3M glop that seems to jump out to your fingers when you can't get them free? Don't scratch your eye brow...!!!
                Thanks,
                DrPepper

Comment

I've done a number of them by now and the secret is latex gloves. I use the black 3M adhesive which is the same as the yellow.

I put it on the door and the weatherstrip leaving time to flash off on both surfaces. I try a dry fit first to cut excess rubber off but leave it long by 2" just for kicks. It is a messy job but if you are careful or have an extra set of gloved hands it helps.

Did you ever get that brake drum to pop off? I've been wondering about that for some time now and forget to ask. I had a time getting a steering wheel off this latest 57 but it finally surrendered to my efforts.

Comment

latex gloves...that's to simple!!!

OK, I'll try it when I get to that part.

The drum is still stuck, and so am I with working 5 days a week 10 hours a day +. It's been a poor year for that "extra time" I need for the project. Maybe next summer I will get back to it, it's freezing out right now and I'm really not motivated to get into it.
                    Thanks, DP

Comment

Working...
                    X