Left Handed Wheel Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Handed Wheel Threads

I am working on a M-37 brake system. Noticed that the front passenger side had left handed lugs while the right rear had the left handed threads. I searched the internet and saw references that refer to left handed threads on either side. Searched my manuals but couldn't find a reference to which way is the proper way.

Can any one give me a manual and page number reference which clearly states which side the left handed lugs go on??

Almost any older Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge, or Plymouth manual

For years, Chrysler corporation cars and trucks had left hand threads on the left side lug studs and right hand threads on the right side lug studs. Every expert on every automotive web site has presented a reason so I won't deal with that here.

Through the years, the lug studs were replaced with which ever thread was available. There were cases where some owners replaced all left hand threads so they would would not be confused.

My first Chrysler product was a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker that I got in 1956. I quickly learned that left side = left hand threads and the appropriate right side thing. I also learned that "L" on the end of the stud and on the outside face of the lug nut indicates LEFT, etc. I have always replaced the lug studs with the correct thread so I, or any future owner would not have to deal with a screwed up vehicle. My 75 year old brain is still programmed to deal with that. My grandsons 6 and 10 years old already have vintage MOPARS and the lug stud thread thing will be among the first things I hope to teach them.

Comment

I had a 1951 Buick that had left hand lug nuts on the left side. I think the theory was that they would be resistant to comming off due to the rotation of the wheel.
      Since those days we all have had many cars all with all right hand threads and I dont ever remember even one falling off.
      Maybe its the Corriollas effect that keeps them on . Maybe if we drove a car in Austrailia they have all left hand nuts...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
        I had a 1951 Buick that had left hand lug nuts on the left side. I think the theory was that they would be resistant to comming off due to the rotation of the wheel.
        Since those days we all have had many cars all with all right hand threads and I dont ever remember even one falling off.
        Maybe its the Corriollas effect that keeps them on . Maybe if we drove a car in Austrailia they have all left hand nuts...
        My wife was driving our 1998 Jeep Cherokee and started to notice a vibration developing. Within one mile it got really bad until the point that the driver's side front wheel came off - at 55mph on an interstate overpass. (She was able to control the vehicle and stop it on the shoulder). All the lug nuts had backed off and were lost from that hub. These of course were right hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle.

Ever since then I pay special attention to lug nuts. We have had three more Cherokees since that vehicle. Without fail, everytime I go to rotate tires, the right hand nuts on the right sides of the vehicles have worked themselves tighter - sometimes impossible to remove without ruining the nuts, while the right hand thread nuts on the left side of the vehicle have loosened to the point of some being little more than finger tight.

This is all with steel lug nuts and factory aluminum alloy wheels.

I can't help but think there must be something to the reasoning behind the old way of right hand on the right side and left hand on the left side. I think they do tend to tighten or at least stay tight when configured that way.

Comment

True story....

when I was quite young the "guy down the street" borrowed my Dad's breaker bar and socket, said, "he couldn't get the lug nuts off his car to change a flat tire". Dad didn't think much about it until the guy came back and told us he had twisted off all 5 studs...on the left side of his Chrysler. Dad always said the guy wasn't to bright.

NAPA stocks replacement left and right hand 5/8"-18 nuts for my TW-PW. Not sure what your thread is.

Art

Comment

Never had an issue with lug nuts on my newer cars loosening, though I'm particular about torquing them to manufacturer specs vice just hitting them with an impact wrench. Not as good about checking them after some run time as per the manual though.

NAPA does have left and right wheel studs and nuts for the BUDD rims (3/4" IIRC). The PNs are in the PIM on Joe's site, I think he updated them to the newer numbers. If not do a search as I posted the newer numbers there a while back.

They are probably not in stock locally however, there are few boxes of these things in NAPAs system so you may want to order some extra while you can. Prices aren't too bad but they had to ship some of mine in from another store in Texas and elsewhere to get everything I needed. I had quite a few that were bent on the rear axle, which must have been an interesting story.

Comment

Left Handed Thread

Thanks for the clarification. I just switched the hubs from one side to the other. Now the left threads are on the driver's side and the right threads on the passenger's side.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                My wife was driving our 1998 Jeep Cherokee and started to notice a vibration developing. Within one mile it got really bad until the point that the driver's side front wheel came off - at 55mph on an interstate overpass. (She was able to control the vehicle and stop it on the shoulder). All the lug nuts had backed off and were lost from that hub. These of course were right hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle.

Ever since then I pay special attention to lug nuts. We have had three more Cherokees since that vehicle. Without fail, everytime I go to rotate tires, the right hand nuts on the right sides of the vehicles have worked themselves tighter - sometimes impossible to remove without ruining the nuts, while the right hand thread nuts on the left side of the vehicle have loosened to the point of some being little more than finger tight.

This is all with steel lug nuts and factory aluminum alloy wheels.

I can't help but think there must be something to the reasoning behind the old way of right hand on the right side and left hand on the left side. I think they do tend to tighten or at least stay tight when configured that way.
                Not to start a controversy but maybe I should have said ," I have never had a wheel come off that was put on right".

Comment

left handed threads

So I got my first Power Wagon in January of this year. It took me a solid half hour of prying (and jumping on the breaker bar with long pipe..) before I realized the "L" that was stamped on the thing stood for "Left Handed threads" and not loser.. Happily I did not use a BOIR (Big old impact wrench) and twist them all off.. I've worked on old John Deere's, International's, Ford's and Chevrolet, but this was my first Dodge. Oh, and many of the bolts use fine threads!

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by wayneh View Post
                    So I got my first Power Wagon in January of this year. It took me a solid half hour of prying (and jumping on the breaker bar with long pipe..) before I realized the "L" that was stamped on the thing stood for "Left Handed threads" and not loser.. Happily I did not use a BOIR (Big old impact wrench) and twist them all off.. I've worked on old John Deere's, International's, Ford's and Chevrolet, but this was my first Dodge. Oh, and many of the bolts use fine threads!

Wayne
                    Ha Ha Ha, I know what you mean about fine threads. A few times when trying to get out a rusty bolt that is in one of those hard to reach spots and you turn and turn and turn , then pull off the wrench and try to see if
                    the stinking thing is actually coming out or just turning because its striped. It makes even removing a one inch long bolt an ordeal.

Comment

Working...
                    X