24v dist. alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v dist. alignment

i have really struggled with this dist, it has new point, condenser, coil cap roter, and drive bushings and no spark agin. had spark for a while. just took it apart again to clean the points and now no spark agiain. seems like the source of the problem is that the plastic cap screws to the inside of the aluminum cap then when you put the screws in the aluminum cap and tighten it down it misalignes the plastic one inside it and the rotor won't make good contact. if i loosen the aluminum cap and wiggle it around i can get spark depending on where i hold the cap. is there some kind of an alighnment procedure when replaceing caps?

distributor

Gus, there were originally rubber washers between the cap and the aluminum housing, if they got lost it could cause a problem like this.check that. some of mine were missing, i think I replaced them with o rings, been a while, I'm not sure

Comment

my rubber washers are still there, the bottom of the plastic is flush with the aluminum, measured with a square the inside of the plastic by the brasss lugs is 1" below the edge of the aluminum cap. the top of the rotor measures 3/4" above the survace of the distributor wich puts it under the the cab by 1/4". i think the rotor is missing the lugs on the cap. i put a piece of waded up paper under it and all it did was stick up to high and break the rotor. i have 4 different caps and rotors, from ebay, vintag power wagon, and midwest jeep, and the original. they are all different styles and colors but measrue the same. this distributor has been an expensive thorn in my side for a long time now. and yes the vent lines are hooked up to the carb......lol

Comment

Did you find a resolve?

Gus, I am curious if you've found a solution to your problem. I'm just digging into a problem that seems to be a distributor / apart issue.

Comment

We can fix it

Originally posted by gusbratz View Post
          i have really struggled with this dist, it has new point, condenser, coil cap roter, and drive bushings and no spark agin. had spark for a while. just took it apart again to clean the points and now no spark agiain. seems like the source of the problem is that the plastic cap screws to the inside of the aluminum cap then when you put the screws in the aluminum cap and tighten it down it misalignes the plastic one inside it and the rotor won't make good contact. if i loosen the aluminum cap and wiggle it around i can get spark depending on where i hold the cap. is there some kind of an alighnment procedure when replaceing caps?
          What you say is going on doesn't throw any red flags, so I can't share anything to help you without a look see. We have rebuilt many of these units, and I'm confident we can fix whatever your problem is. If we can help give us a call or email via the contact us link at the website below.

By the way; you didn't mention whether you have checked the capacitor in the ignition input lead circuit. Are you sure it is good?

Comment

Working...
          X