Help a Nubie with a purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible problems

a few things to look out for. I'm assuming py the pictures that the bed floor probably needs replacing, more than likely the crossmember that makes up the rear of the bed to. Both pieces are available from midwest military. This requires removing the bed, dealing with lots of rusty hardware and installing new parts. While your at it you might as well sandblast the crossbeams the floor bolts to and apply some good rust preventative paint. look closely at the front fenders, that groove where they bolt to the truck under the headlight is usually rotted out. also in the pictures there appears to be a 12v coil bolted upsidedown where the stock fuel filter would be. someone may have rigged a 12v ignition this would explain the extra dash switch. If you really want the truck, go for it. If your not very mechanically inclined, you'll spend a small fortune paying the local mechanic, welder, bodyshop etc. If your good with your hands, you'll have a few fun projects but nothing too horrible.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hope these help. If thats a 12v coil i wonder how there using it maybe only have of one battey instead of the full 24v? Or maybe a ballast resister and a 12v coil?

Comment

coil

I don't think there's a good way to do it as the 24 volt coil mounts inside the distributor. I could be wrong, could be an electric fuel pump, also explains the extra switch. or some other type of fuel filter

Comment

On a scale from 1-10, how handy to rate yourself?

Comment

Thats a good question im probably a 5. Ive had mucle cars and have antique motorcycles. But im getting older and really dont have the time to restore anything anymore. Heres a video of the truck
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsmZV...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Slugish starting can be due to low compression. Mine will start after the second or third revolution in the dead of winter.
                        Note, I saw the fellow pumping the gas pedal to try and start it. That does absolutlely nothing on that truck. The accelerator pump is vacuum operated and if the engine is not running there is no vacuum. Your best bet is to hold the throtle part way open with your heel , no pumping.
                        It sounds like the carbutretor is messed up or a gross vacuum leak someplace.
                        It looks like the truck really does NOT need a restoration just some minor stuff and a good clean up unless you want to enter it in a show. All of it depends on if the engine needs to be rebuilt.

Get the compression checked prior to cutting a check.

PS whats old?

Comment

when i first saw the video i was surprised on how hard it started plus it seemed to be almost flodded after it started. The idle seems to osillate up and down. They did say it was cold (the motor). Then he says its hot out today. That extra switch has me confused as well.

Im old lol i enjoy everyones input it really does help point out things that i may have missed.

Comment

carb

Idle seems kind of high, I;m guessing, carb rebuild and or adjustment and reset the timing /overhaul the distributor will help a lot. I'd insist on a compression test as well before I gave them any money. I watched the video twice, can anyone tell if the cowl vent has been filled? I couldn't see it.

Comment

I dont see it in any pictures that i have.

Comment

72T, Not to labor on about age but I am 67 and when I think old now I think 80. That number keeps moving up as I get older mostly because I dont want to think of myself as old. Old is a state of mind. I always say "the less you do , the less you do". I know that sounds like a Yogi Barra thing but its true. Taking on a chalange can keep you thinking and moving and doing.
                                As far as the truck you are looking at it looks like a mostly intacked truck that needs a bit of care . The people that own it now I believe dont really "know" the truck and are car salesmen and will say anything to sell it. When I watched the video and heard the guy say , "it runs fine" and all the while I as well as you could hear it stumbling tells me they are just car salesmen. Be careful. A rebuild on that engine will cost a few thousand dollars. Test that compresion.
                                Alan in Pa.

Comment

Working...
                                X