No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My entire under carriage was under coated by the Powhatan County VFD, it's some tuff-stuff. I razor bladed most of it off, huge sheets, started at my VIN #. I take a pic of the dimmer switch tonight/tomorrow 4 you.

Comment

Dimmer

My Dimmer Switch is not connected, but the leads are Packard to Douglas Connectors, someday I'll get motivated to tackle the wiring. Kevin Emdee was selling these at Aberdeen a while back. His company Starr Electric sells lots of M-Series electrical stuff.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photo Bruce.

So today I filled in a pretty major hole in my restoration equation. What do I do with all the parts I am taking off? I don't have a garage or barn (the one I work in is rented per hour) and the stuff is piling up fast. Figured I could get a storage space/garage but how would I get stuff to it? With a Uhaul truck of course:

Bought it for $1,200. It's a 1990 so I can register it with Historic tags and avoid inspection. Great thing is I have already had two offers to buy it back when I am done with it!

1990 F350 7.3L Diesel with 186,000 miles

I'll call it the M37 Rescue Vehicle

Just a note, Uhaul has a TON of trucks they are selling for cheap. They originally wanted $1,600 for this and I just made an offer, they accepted. Might be a good alternative to a garage for those looking for space.

Comment

Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
          Great idea and find, but I'm not keen on the name. How about M-Haul?
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
            Great idea and find, but I'm not keen on the name. How about M-Haul?
            Love it, working on a logo :-)

Question for you guys. Where does one get black canvas for the truck? Occasionally I see them in black rather than green and personally I really like it.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
              Thanks for the photo Bruce.

So today I filled in a pretty major hole in my restoration equation. What do I do with all the parts I am taking off? I don't have a garage or barn (the one I work in is rented per hour) and the stuff is piling up fast. Figured I could get a storage space/garage but how would I get stuff to it? With a Uhaul truck of course:

Bought it for $1,200. It's a 1990 so I can register it with Historic tags and avoid inspection. Great thing is I have already had two offers to buy it back when I am done with it!

1990 F350 7.3L Diesel with 186,000 miles

Just a note, Uhaul has a TON of trucks they are selling for cheap. They originally wanted $1,600 for this and I just made an offer, they accepted. Might be a good alternative to a garage for those looking for space.
              That seems like a really good deal.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

canvas

Jared, I had a black top made by newlife canvas, it's modern convertible top cloth like you'd find on a new jeep, took about two months to get but I'm really happy with it, also a lot cheaper than beachwood canvas here in jersey. just google Newlife canvas company, they have quite a few options as far as colors and kinds of cloth.

Comment

Thanks Matt, bookmarked and ready.

So today I was filling up my new M-Haul with all the parts I've pulled off of it, just in time for the hurricane. As I was laying out all of the parts, I noticed a few extra pieces:

The pile

Doubles, triples?

Ok, this was getting crazy! I had six driver side fenders! The five pictured here and the one in the truck.

I vaguely remember my dad telling me something about some extra parts he picked up at a swap meet or something, guess this is what he was talking about. They've been in the back of the bed all this time.

Now if only there was a rebuilt engine back there somewhere....

Comment

More extras

Parts fit nicely in the M-Haul

My historic tags for the M-Haul. It's a 1989, within the 20 year mark so I figured why the heck not? What would be neat is if I could transfer them to the M37 when I am done.

Comment

This might sound like a really dumb question, but has anyone found a good place to buy original body bolts? I saw them on ebay selling 10 bolts for like $30. At $3.00 a bolts, that's a little steep. I've always kept my eye out for them on parts sites but never seem to see them. I'm about to tackle the bed and cab and foresee a lot of cutoff wheel in my future.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Try calling Memphis equipment at 901 774 0600 they have a lot of unadvertised M37 parts

http://memphisequipment.com/

Comment

In your photo#69 it shows the historic plate, the inside of the M-Hauler and three other things that look like some sort of water catcher or drain , do you know what they are?
                          Alan in Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                            In your photo#69 it shows the historic plate, the inside of the M-Hauler and three other things that look like some sort of water catcher or drain , do you know what they are?
                            Alan in Pa.
                            Those came from under the dash, in the center behind the motor. I think they had something to do with the pop up vent/cowling that lets fresh air in.

Comment

Made a little more progress this weekend:

First got the bed off

There it is in the back of the M-Haul

Comment

And then the cab, which we stood up right behind it. See these two guys looking at the truck? They are both staff mechanics at the shop who pretty much think I am INSANE for trying to restore this thing. You can see their look of disbelief! haha

One more before cleanup

Comment

Working...
                                X