No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if I have to take it off, I might as well paint it.
    Attached Files

Comment

A shot of the motor and truck inside the Auto Skills workshop.
      Attached Files

Comment

First obstacle, stuck spark plug in the head. Removed the head and used a special tool and a torch to back it out. Cleaned the head and surface while I was at it.
        Attached Files

Comment

New head gasket, applied with a funny copper spray. This one didn't seem to line up too well, had some extra holes, but o well?
          Attached Files

Comment

Best investment, EVER, a little sandblaster. The kind you stick the object in, close the door, and put your hands in the box. It was like $120 bucks at Harbor Freight, money well spent. Check out the before and after on the hinges. It works absolute wonders for the hardware too. It's like going to Home Depot and getting new bolts, they seriously look that good after being blasted. No joke.
            Attached Files

Comment

And today, we finally got it running! Three good starts, here is video of the last run:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

After pulling the cap back off, I replaced and gapped the points. We weren't sure if the fuel pump was working (later confirmed not) so we were just running fuel from a hose. Not even going to mess with the gas tank at this point, who knows what's in there.

So we can get it to run for about 15-20 seconds at a clip. The next step is for us to figure out what's wrong with the fuel pump and maybe mess with the carburetor. More to come, stay tuned!

Comment

Good luck trying to find a radiator, they are as scarce as hen's teeth. But they are around. That front bumper look's about near perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                  Good luck trying to find a radiator, they are as scarce as hen's teeth. But they are around. That front bumper look's about near perfect.
                  I've got the radiator, it's in pretty good shape too. Figured one step at a time. If I can get it running long enough that it gets hot, I would say that's a good problem to have!

Comment

Thanks for the video, a running engine motivates an owner to do all the rest of the work needed to put it back on the road and save another truck from the scrapper.

Also, you are right about the sand blaster, in my opinion it's the best and quickest way to prep rusted steel for paint.

Comment

Met up with Carter Davidson this weekend to see what 20+ years of work looks like. All I can say is, WOW. Really gave me some inspiration, and he even let me drive it! If that doesn't keep you focused, I don't know what will. Thanks again Carter.

Video and photos here, towards the end of the album:
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/1107230...eat=directlink

NOS fuel pump and carb on the way, will post more photos after the weekend.

Comment

You are welcome Jared, pleasure to have you visit, you drove the truck like it's an everyday thing for you.

Looking at the video has prompted me to get back to work on the wiring today, figure why my turn signals are not working then install the new Douglas ends on the wires that have the temporary blue connectors. The NOS harness from years past has bad insulation at wire ends and it may be time for all new to replace what is now over 23 yrs. old.

Comment

Originally posted by carter davidson View Post
                          The NOS harness from years past has bad insulation at wire ends and it may be time for all new to replace what is now over 23 yrs. old.
                          Replacing the replacement? haha

Comment

Looks like it, the years since it went in have taken a toll on it. Was ok back then, now not so good. I'll never be finished with this truck, always something to do or redo. Last month it was the pinion seals, wiring this time. Might have to use that harness I showed to you.

Comment

Welcome to the sickness, jrod. Looking forward to your adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
                                Welcome to the sickness, jrod. Looking forward to your adventure.
                                Thanks, I can't stop now, it's all I think of!

Comment

Working...
                                X