No announcement yet.

1962 M37 Newbie in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So that's the latest to date. Pretty much all of the chassis parts are ready to go, minus the springs. I need to bring them in to be re-arched. My next investment is a flat bed trailer. I'm going to need a way to move this thing around! I'm also in the process of buying a house. Looking at some places with garages, which will be a much preferred way of working over the U-haul! She's been good to me though, I can't complain. More to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by wayneh View Post
      Jarad: Hey, you are going to be the expert now in Maryland on Front axles! Mine needs work too! Sorry I missed your text message this week, our Uncle has me working late every day. Are you putting the front axle back together yet?? The bronze bushing does not "look" to worn, but I think most folks replace it with bearings. I'll txt you my work number, if I'm inside my cell does not work.

Say... Should I dare ask about the RV.... We could get it on the range and use it for some target practice....

Wayne
      Let's not talk about the RV. Long story! It's still in PA. Front axle assembly is going to have to wait a bit. Need to get springs over to R&S, and get myself a flat bead trailer. I'm also in the process of buying a house, so sitting on my cash for the time being until closing. In the meantime, I've been trying to keep busy with tasks that don't cost me anything, like cleaning and painting :-) You want your manifold back?

Comment

• Jarad, nice job and appreciate all the pictures.
        Wayne, glad you figured out the MC top issue.

Comment

• I have been following your progress and you are doing a great job. There is one thing that I have to say is totaly amazing. You got your girlfriend to actually help ??? An not just with moral suport but with actuall labor.
          Flat out amazing.
          The only help I get from my wife is she sort of look the other way when I spend money on Lady M.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrodjared View Post

Yokes with ready sleeves.
            I removed the flange before installing mine, have you found there was enough clearance to leave it on?
            I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
            Will
            WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
            1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
            1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
            1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
            2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

• We could have taken it off, but it interfered with nothing since it was pushed on so far.

Wayne

Comment

• Jared: Next time I drive the PW to work I'll meet you for lunch and I can get it the manifold then, if that works. Maybe Wednesday? I like to drive Friday's mostly, but it may rain, and driving the monster in the rain is something I'd prefer not to do with all the nut cases on our roads...

Wany

Comment

• Originally posted by wayneh View Post
                  Jared: Next time I drive the PW to work I'll meet you for lunch and I can get it the manifold then, if that works. Maybe Wednesday? I like to drive Friday's mostly, but it may rain, and driving the monster in the rain is something I'd prefer not to do with all the nut cases on our roads...

Wany
                  I might be able to do that. Give me a ring. I have to help someone move after work but maybe I can slip out a little early ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaiser2boy View Post
                    I have been following your progress and you are doing a great job. There is one thing that I have to say is totaly amazing. You got your girlfriend to actually help ??? An not just with moral suport but with actuall labor.
                    Flat out amazing.
                    The only help I get from my wife is she sort of look the other way when I spend money on Lady M.
                    Yeah she's a catch for sure. Kim has her own classic:

See, here's me returning the favor!

Comment

• leaf springs

Originally posted by jrodjared View Post
                      Pretty much all of the chassis parts are ready to go, minus the springs. I need to bring them in to be re-arched. .
                      Another option is to have new springs made. This summer I had Alcan Springs in Grand Junction, Colorado make a new set of leafs for the front of my M37 and they came out great. New steel, sliders between each leaf, bolts right up to the stock shackles using the stock greaseable bolts. Had mine made +1" lift over stock, and it really improved the stance of the truck as my rear leafs were still holding up fine. Just a thought

Comment

• What's the ballpark figure for a set of new springs? Did they use the same number of springs in the pack? How's the ride/articulation now vs the old springs? I've always considered getting some springs made.

Comment

• new leafs

Originally posted by lebowski View Post
                          What's the ballpark figure for a set of new springs? Did they use the same number of springs in the pack? How's the ride/articulation now vs the old springs? I've always considered getting some springs made.
                          Don't have the receipt in front of me, but as I recall it was around $525 + shipping. They are custom made so you would have to get a current quote (http://www.alcanspring.com/ ) 7 leafs in the pack. Ride is a bit stiffer because the old leafs were worn flat, so they flexed about the same up as down. Still articulates fine. Even on a 7 rated trail both front tires stayed on the ground. I noted that when the old and new leaf packs were on the garage floor, they both had about the same arch, which indicates to me that when new the original springs may have had similar ride and articulation as the new Alcan springs.

Comment

• That is reasonable for new spring packs. I'll have to check into the Alcan's once I've got the motor set in and figure out my front axle upgrade. Thanks.

Comment

• I'm about to take my springs to a place that re-furbs them. Ill post about the process shortly.

Comment

Working...
                              X