Transfer Case Mounted PTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Mounted PTO

After recently rebuilding the Transfer Case in my 1967 W200 I seem to be having problems with my PTO engaging and dis engaging. The Cable on the Dash fairly easily engages the unit, to dis engage I have to crawl under the truck and lightly tap the shaft the cable attaches to. In your opinion should I shim it out a little further? Or do I possibly have a cable binding?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Matt,

1st, what did you find was the TC issues?

2ndm I assume the eggauge is a pull action on the cable and the disengauge is a push of the cable? If so check the angle of the cable mount to the lever, as if the level is too close to being in line with the cable line, the force to get the lever to move will be HUGE.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I have yet to tear into the unit I took out, I had another one I put together to replace it with so I am not sure what the culprit is yet.

As far as the cable, I believe it is a fairly straight shot due to the bracket it is mounted to. It is designed with a long threaded portion with a 4 inch sleeve that slides together. I have to think its binding somewhere. I just need to locate a replacement cable. I cannot get the cable itself to unscrew from the PTO so I may have to cut it to get it removed from the PTO.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

So the replacement transfercase came with a cable attached and that's the one you are having issues with? If so, yes it could be fraired inside the sheeth, and trying to push it will be tough.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Same PTO unit and cable as before. I did not have this issue with the Other Transfer case, but I have also discovered that I am un able to remove this cable by using the method of un screwing it like the manual speaks of.

I have also been hurrying on this process in hopes of getting My WDX into the shop and getting it repaired and ready to go. It is both good and bad being to wet to mow and clear trails. Still have building work electrical work and a moderately long list of things to get done over the next 10 days or so.

We will see what actually gets finished :)
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Hey Matt, I have a really personal HATE of cable controls for gear boxes. I've seen many that just never functioned well. Reminds me of trying to push something with a chain, when we all know a chain is only designed for use as a pulling tool. We just don't use cables, I'd rather build a custom linkage system with bearings / bushings, etc. Leverage can be incorporated into a lever type set up also to make for easier operation. Maybe not something you have time to tackle right now, but is likely the better end solution.

Comment

I have this same exact problem with my '64 W300.

Comment

did you replace the clunker gear in the case you rebuilt?

Comment

I Left the clunker gear alone that was in it, all the springs were good and it was in fantastic condition.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

That is what I did too. I had a nice low miles case. The yokes were excellent , so I put new seals in and put it in. I need new rubber mounts. I still have some noise i need to pin point. This case is very quiet on the coast side. That is step one.

Comment

I have to agree with Mr. Talbert. The cables are ok when they work... but I would advise you to anchor it along its entire length redundantly, if nothing else. If it manages to somehow get sucked into the intermediate shaft between the tranny and t-case it will wreck all kinds of fun stuff while whipping around. Fuel lines, brake lines, wiring harness, etc.

For a temporary quick fix, you might try hosing it down with a good moly roller chain lube. The moly will stick around for a while and it won't gum it up worse like a lot of other spray lubes will.

Comment

Working...
                      X