The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    So I will be able to post pictures PDQ . Put some epoxy primer on some parts yesterday . The paint was kicking off on the brush , what happened to the 3 day pot life ? Also will get back to the tear down I started and stopped at least 4 weeks back
    . tear down progress
    (1) Pulled NP205 transfercase - placed on bench
    (2) pulled intermediate transfercase
    (3) pulled motor , placed on blocks but still attached to engine hoist . engine hoist had a structural failure .
    (4) removed front axle
    (5) have blasted a few small parts

Bruce

lets get that picture posting happening Gordon . We need to liven up this thread .

edit - there is a guy in reading that has 5 cummins 4bts for sale , all run , 4500 for the lot . Screaming deal but too far for me to drive .
    You have subscriber status, you should be able to post now!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

So I will be able to post pictures PDQ . Put some epoxy primer on some parts yesterday . The paint was kicking off on the brush , what happened to the 3 day pot life ? Also will get back to the tear down I started and stopped at least 4 weeks back
      . tear down progress
      (1) Pulled NP205 transfercase - placed on bench
      (2) pulled intermediate transfercase
      (3) pulled motor , placed on blocks but still attached to engine hoist . engine hoist had a structural failure .
      (4) removed front axle
      (5) have blasted a few small parts

Bruce

lets get that picture posting happening Gordon . We need to liven up this thread .

edit - there is a guy in reading that has 5 cummins 4bts for sale , all run , 4500 for the lot . Screaming deal but too far for me to drive .
      Reading, PA?

Comment

• I think so

It is on Craigslist . Guy has 3.9 and 5.9 blocks

link http://reading.craigslist.org/pts/3150234418.html

Comment

• Darn , no posty pictures yet

Ain't no paper clip in my header . Even spent the money on a new camera . My old camera packed it in last night . I am welding up the reliefs that I cut in the top of the frame for the drag link style steering box . Managed to cut the top layer off without cutting the inner frame . I am welding each layer separately and the welds will be offset from each other . Not sure that it will make a difference for strength or stress but it is pretty standard to go about it this way .

Edit - gordon I just logged out and logged in again - no change - says " you may not post attachments ", we had this same problem in the past . i have no idea what was the cause .

Edit #2 no manage attachments button

Comment

• Bruce, you have subscriber status. It should be working for you.

First you click the manage attachments button [see first image below], then the browse button to locate your image [see second image below]. Are you getting these features?

I can log in as you to test your account, if necessary.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ain't no paper clip in my header . Even spent the money on a new camera . My old camera packed it in last night . I am welding up the reliefs that I cut in the top of the frame for the drag link style steering box . Managed to cut the top layer off without cutting the inner frame . I am welding each layer separately and the welds will be offset from each other . Not sure that it will make a difference for strength or stress but it is pretty standard to go about it this way .

Edit - gordon I just logged out and logged in again - no change - says " you may not post attachments ", we had this same problem in the past . i have no idea what was the cause .

Edit #2 no manage attachments button
              I am going to log in as you, which will require that I change your password. I will test your account. Then I will assign a new password and send it to you. Log out, please....

Comment

• User account test by admin

User account test by admin.
                Attached Files

Comment

• I examined your user account in my admin control panel. It said you had subscriber status. Your marking on the left in the forum indicated you had subscriber status. Still, it did not work for you.

I simply assigned subscriber status in the admin control panel again. I then logged in as you and it works. I am not sure what happened there, but you should be OK now!

Comment

• I now have a paperclip <ggg >

AND it says you MAY post attachments .
                    and i now have the "upload failed " showing up . this may be on my end - I will see if the file was too big . Thanks gordon we are getting closer . Computers are so fun.

edit - yep the picture was too big dimension wise . this is a shot of the carryall with all the parts removed from the front end .
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Putting back what was once removed

getting ready to fix the frame by welding back in some replacement metal . the top flange was modified to take a saginaw box for a drag link style conversion . the carryall now uses cross steering .
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Inner frame with repairs

Not quite done . The outer frame will need a bevel cut so that the weld will get full penetration . I think I will phosphate the metal as well . This will be done in an effort to lower any problems created by rust in the weld puddle . Porosity seems to appear quite easily with this old metal , even when cleaned .
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Good job!

Comment

• frame repair completed

I welded in the new top piece for the frame .
                            photo (#1 ) this is the piece welded in . It is oversize , the tape marks the edge that is to be cut . the frame had a bit of a wave to the edge . the tape has much the same wave .

photo (#2) the extra metal has ben removed with a zip disc and a file run down the cut edge to remove any gotyahs that may be lurking to come out and bite a mechanic at a later date .

take care out there
                            Bruce
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That turned out nice Bruce!

Comment

• Nicely done Bruce! Thanks for the pics!

Comment

Working...
                                X