1959 W300 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 W300 frame

This is my first post. I bought this 1959 W300 without engine/transmission. The truck has frame and firewall damage from a diesel engine a past owner was running. the drivers side frame rail has a crack through the rivet at the front cross member. are these rivets available and has anyone installed them?
    Thanks Sam
    Attached Files

I don't know of any of these rivets, the question is how are you going to install it? They are swedged into the holes and hammered in place while hot. Getting one out is a bear, been there done that replacing the entire cross member. Remove the rivet and use a grade 8 bolt after welding the crack. It appears the frame is bent causing the crack? I'd check that first before welding. You will have to use a punch in an air chisel to get that old rivet out or beat it like a mad man with a hammer and drift punch. I restore these trucks and willing to help you with questions.

Comment

Thanks for the information Ron. Yes the frame is bent, I'm lining up a frame shop to see if they can get the kinks out.If the frame can be straightened I'll move on to the firewall replacement. Will let you know how the frame repair turns out. Sam

Comment

Sam any GOOD frame shop should be able to straighten the frame. Take a picture of your truck and firewall. Where are you located? There is a company in Michigan that just repopped the firewall from a 58 cab I took them. They also make floor pans and a patch panel for above the floor pan. c2cfabrication.com they also have an eBay store just type in 1957 Dodge floor pans.

Comment

I'm not having much luck uploading a picture of the firewall but I did find a frame shop local that can handle the repair. And I updated my profile with my location Corona, California. When the rain stops I'll get some pictures of the truck and post.

Comment

Working...
          X