Modern Machinery...for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Machinery...for me

I broke down yesterday and bought a '98 12 valve,quad cab, 3500 4x4 with duals.Real nice one owner 89,000 miles(not even broke in)recent rebuild on the automatic trans.What do I need to watch for and what kind of prevention can I do.I've already arranged to have Bilstiens put on the front and all the front bushings swapped out with new Polyurethane bushings to avoid front end woes these are known for.

This may be more for the newer 24V but I've always heard it was a good idea to have some sort of fuel pressure gauge & maybe a pyrometer installed.

Other than that & watching the tranny (no towing in OD) I think you are set.

Nice find with that mileage.

Bucky

Comment

Yeah,I was planning on a Pyrometer and a trans temp gauge.It has an inline fuel pump.I have a few friends who are into serious Cummins performance but I'm more into longevity.This truck should last me a lo o o ng time.When my neighbor bought this truck new I told him to give me a call when he was tired of it and 13 years later he did.Guys known me since I was a pup and he still sold it to me!

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        Other than that & watching the tranny (no towing in OD) I think you are set.
        There is no problem with towing in OD. The only difference (in an auto) between OD and 3rd locked is an extra planetary set running, which is more than capable of handling the power put through it. The only way I can see this statement making sense is to be sure you dont lug the motor down too low. Once they fall off their powerband they start slowing down pretty quickly so you pretty much want to shift down anyway.
        I had a 98 3/4ton with the 12 valve and a 5 speed that I towed plenty of weight in OD.

What I can warn you against is doing a power-brake burnout on pavement/asphault though. I did it once, immediately after rebuilding the auto that my truck came with, and blew the one way clutch completely apart destroying the case in the process. After that wasted $800 I put a 5 speed in it and never worried about it again.

Comment

http://www.dieselgiant.com/dodge_die...nance_tips.htm

I will recant on the towing in OD statement, simply because I have never operated that particular engine/transmission combo.

I did find this link which mentions Dodge autos needing regular band adjustments.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by The Other Ross View Post
            I broke down yesterday and bought a '98 12 valve,quad cab, 3500 4x4 with duals.Real nice one owner 89,000 miles(not even broke in)recent rebuild on the automatic trans.What do I need to watch for and what kind of prevention can I do.I've already arranged to have Bilstiens put on the front and all the front bushings swapped out with new Polyurethane bushings to avoid front end woes these are known for.
            Google killer dowel pin.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gee thanks Gordon,now I'll worry 'till I figure out if my '98 has the factory upgrade or not.Anybody know how to visually verify this?

Comment

Not without pulling the gear cover.

However if you unscrew the large 4" cover on the front opposite IP that has the oil fill tube,you might be able to see the "tab" under the bolt head with a mirror and light?
                It is located to the lower left of the IP gear.
                Kind a like 10 oclock from were the IP gear and cam gear mesh.
                Have not tried this myself but might be doable.
                TGP
                WDX & Misc. Pics.
                http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                "47" Dodge WDX WW
                "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                "54" Willys M38A1
                "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I have seen failure in a 47re behind a 24v due to towing in OD. But i have heard of guys with over 150000 miles on their original trans towing in OD the whole time. I would just stay away from it in general, at least under heavy load.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
                    There is no problem with towing in OD. The only difference (in an auto) between OD and 3rd locked is an extra planetary set running, which is more than capable of handling the power put through it. The only way I can see this statement making sense is to be sure you dont lug the motor down too low. Once they fall off their powerband they start slowing down pretty quickly so you pretty much want to shift down anyway.
                    I had a 98 3/4ton with the 12 valve and a 5 speed that I towed plenty of weight in OD.

What I can warn you against is doing a power-brake burnout on pavement/asphault though. I did it once, immediately after rebuilding the auto that my truck came with, and blew the one way clutch completely apart destroying the case in the process. After that wasted $800 I put a 5 speed in it and never worried about it again.
                    Not that I really want to,but how hard was the five speed swap.I've done auto to manual and vise versa in 70's Fords and Dodges but not on something newer.If I can't make this trannie live I'll sink the $1000's into a manual.I also know where there is an '01 six speed that has donor truck wrote all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                      http://www.dieselgiant.com/dodge_die...nance_tips.htm

I will recant on the towing in OD statement, simply because I have never operated that particular engine/transmission combo.

I did find this link which mentions Dodge autos needing regular band adjustments.

Bucky
                      Thanks for the link.

Comment

I'd stick with the auto until it actually failed, which may never occur if you treat it properly.

But having an extra donor toy is usually fun.

Bucky

Comment

A few months ago, I bought a 2002 Dodge 3500 flatbed, with the Cummins and a 6 spd std trans. This is the first Dodge diesel I have had with a std. trans. I really like the 6 spd. I have been hauling a gooseneck trailer loaded with firewood. The truck/trail/load is grossing about 22000. On long hills, I usually just have to drop it to 5th and can stay at around 55 or 60MPH.
                          This truck has 137,000 on it, and has been used to haul these heavy loads since new. Nothing has been done to the trans., but just before I bought it, the original owner had a new clutch installed.
                          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                            A few months ago, I bought a 2002 Dodge 3500 flatbed, with the Cummins and a 6 spd std trans. This is the first Dodge diesel I have had with a std. trans. I really like the 6 spd. I have been hauling a gooseneck trailer loaded with firewood. The truck/trail/load is grossing about 22000. On long hills, I usually just have to drop it to 5th and can stay at around 55 or 60MPH.
                            This truck has 137,000 on it, and has been used to haul these heavy loads since new. Nothing has been done to the trans., but just before I bought it, the original owner had a new clutch installed.
                            Jeff
                            You might want to do some web research on that, as there is a faction suggesting it is best to overfill that transmission by a certain amount. It is supposed to enhance oiling. I have that transmission in my 2001, and do like it a lot.
                            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

KDP fix is not a bad job at all if done before it falls out. I have used the kit from TST. All parts needed are in the box.

Comment

Working...
                              X