Saved an old Bridgeport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved an old Bridgeport

So I picked up an old Bridgeport from a friend a little while back and decided that its 1943 build date went well with a 1942 WC53 garage partner and will be used to make parts for it.

Serial Number 3905 out of the over 200,000 Bridgeport Series I machines built.

Started into some Rehab... Did not rescrape the ways, but didn't feel it needed it just yet / didn't have the full time.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Did some more work to it.

Comment

Replaced the original 1/2 hp motor with a 1 HP inverter based motor. My shop is not 3 phase, but the phase converter allowed me to do with this by using an inverter torque rated motor that also has variable speed control now.

I had to extend the shaft on the new motor.

Comment

I also decided to add a non-intrusive DIY Digital readout. Required some soldering.

This is a 7" Android Tablet, touch screen.

Build a circuit board and install some scales...

and digital readout with point memory.

Comment

Also added a power feed to the X axis, and

And decided a good test of the machine would be to cut some splines.

Comment

This is a 3 piece type driveshaft carrier assembly for a friend's Toyota Rock Crawler. And then I also made an adapter shaft to convert a Jeep Dana 300, that was a married case into a divorced case and adapt it to an Isuzu Rodeo type driveshaft because a 2wd V6/5 speed is going into a Suzuki Samurai with the Jeep Dana 300 and Toyota axles.

Comment

Nice work.
              It amazes me how many skilled machists there are on the Forums.
              Seeing your spline work, For people restoring the 6X6 Wc-62 and 63's, I wonder if anyone has thought of modifying one of the rear axles to accept Hubs, thereby preventing the issue of the two rear axles "fighting" each other on pavement.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                Nice work.
                Seeing your spline work, For people restoring the 6X6 Wc-62 and 63's, I wonder if anyone has thought of modifying one of the rear axles to accept Hubs, thereby preventing the issue of the two rear axles "fighting" each other on pavement.
                I wouldn't consider myself a skilled machinist. I bought my first lathe not even 3 years ago and a small Clausing mill before this bridgeport only 2 years ago. I've a long way to go yet before I even dare call myself a machinist. I am an Engineer by first trade so the one skill I know is I have learned how to learn something, but never how to fully master it.

Now thats an idea! I know that they have rear double splined axles for the heavy offroad crowd that way if you destroy a rear axle shaft you can unlock the hub and the wheel won't grind the broken parts into the diff while you limp to somewhere you can repair or trailer the vehicle. Also for flat towing I've seen guys put locking hubs on all 4 corners. Very interesting idea on the 6x6 application!

Comment

Nice work.
                  I toyed with the concept briefly. Turning the rear axle into One-wheel drive would, I think, accelerate wear on the the splines of the one driven axle and side gear. I chose to let the differential do it's job as designed.

cd
                  1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                  1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                  2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                  1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                  1954 Ford 860 tractor
                  1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                  UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I'm working on something like that right now. It's a low priority at this point, but I've dedicated a few brain cells to the project.
                    Greg Coffin
                    Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                    1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                    1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                    1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                    1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                    1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Working...
                    X