Radiator/Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator/Cooling

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm still a noob about working on cars)
    I am looking to replace my stock radiator (it's rusted through and can't be fixed, definitely needs changing) and I'm confused as to what's a really good replacement. The truck is a 77 W200 without A/C but I plan on adding A/C later down the road.

1- What's a good reliable replacement? I'll be adding electric fans instead of the current o.
    2- How much bigger in size can I go before running into hacking/cutting parts of the truck?
    3- Is it possible to get a radiator that supports A/C but use it (for now) without having an A/C system in the car?

I know the last question may not make sense, but I've noticed that when browsing for radiators, most if not all shops tend to distinguish in their items' description between if their radiators support A/C or not

Maybe this will help...

We all started somewhere...!
    1. Measure your radiator height and width and note the mounting points. Look for the hose connections, upper right-lower left etc. Note what engine you have, 318, 400, 440 etc.. Do you have an automatic transmission? If so you may want a radiator with the cooler in the tank, or add one like a Hayden oil cooler to the front of the truck.

2. There were several engines available for the '77 W200 all the way up to a 440 CI V8. Go online to any auto store web site. I checked O'Reilly and they have several alternatives for your truck depending on the engine, read exactly what they have and match it to your truck.

The other option is go to a radiator shop and have yours re-cored. A good radiator shop will give you core options that will match what you intend to do.

3. The A/C question is valid, if there is no A/C load then the radiator can be smaller and cheaper. Auto makes have been doing anything they can to cut cost for years. If there is an option, go with the A/C radiator and it will be ready when you install it. Better to oversize a radiator than come up short on a hot day.
    Welcome to PWA, have fun
    DrPepper

Comment

Thank you DrPepper for the helpful tips.
      It's got a 318 in it with manual transmission, forgot to mention this in the original post.
      I might try the re-core option and if that didn't cut it, I'll probably get a new one with the A/C capability since it's unbelievably hot here and I'll NEED it for later.

Comment

Working...
      X