Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me find the publication that started me on Dodges!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find the publication that started me on Dodges!

Kind of a two piece deal here... I know the bug that bit me, and when it happened, but I would really like to get my hands on it for the sake of having it!

So I am trying to track down the publication from around 1998 - 2002 that started my fixation on WWII Dodges, specifically the WC53. When I was in Highschool, (yea I know I am making some of you feel old), I was working at a small airport and we had two M37s there as field vehicles. Well, one of the customers who had a plane tied down also owned a nice restored M37, an MB, and I think was working on a weasel.

Anyways, he brought me some publications to read because I was forever tinkering with the field trucks and had fallen in love with MVs at age 15. On the back cover of one of these publications, there was the picture of a beautiful WC53 Carryall. I believe it was a front iso view from the driver's side and may even be one of the "Chrysler Images" that are easily available on the internet via the Olivedrab site etc, however I am not 100% certain.

Now, I can't remember the exact publication but I believe the whole outer binding was a dark OD green, and I "think" it may have been on old issue of an MVPA publication. Thats my first thought actually because I think there was a basket case WC53 in it for sale that was still a fortune relative to my income at that time.

However I also think there is a chance it could have been an issue of PWA from this forum, and lastly I was ordering parts from Boyce Equipment for the M37 since they were willing to establish an account with the Airport operations company who I was working for.

Anyways, I would REALLY like to track down and get my hands on that publication. Anyone have a stack of these magazines and catalogs they would be willing to dig through to help me find it? I can just remember sitting there at the desk of the Airport day dreaming about having a WC53 and driving it to highschool, or to the Outer Banks of NC. At that time, internet resources were scarce to almost non-existent and the only power wagon resources online were Garbee's site, Big Electric (if you guys remember that one) and I think Joe Cs DodgePowerWagon site was starting up and evolving. Not to mention as highschool student with a '65 Mustang for a daily driver I was broke anyways. I did all I could to save money to buy an M37 while I was in college and kept that until recently. As a matter of fact, that WC53 on the back of the cover of that publication was so engrained in my mind that when my wife mentioned finding a vintage vehicle that could tow her airstream camper, it was the first image that popped into my head and now here I am with the one in the garage. The publication is no later than the summer of 2002.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

There have been carryalls on the back cover, I believe, but the PWA cover has never been green.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      There have been carryalls on the back cover, I believe, but the PWA cover has never been green.
      Yea, and this being the case I believe it was an MVPA publication but going through their old index of back issues I don't see a green cover there either. I have an email in to Boyce Equipment incase it was their catalog, which I am also thinking it may have been.

Comment

Other than some 1987 ads for the MVPA, here is a list of the Advertisers where a Carryall appeared on the back cover:

June 1993
        December 1999
        November and December 2008
        September 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
          Other than some 1987 ads for the MVPA, here is a list of the Advertisers where a Carryall appeared on the back cover:

June 1993
          December 1999
          November and December 2008
          September 2010
          What a guy you are, Clint.
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Many thanks for looking into that! You guys are awesome. I am narrowing down my list of potnentials for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X