Checking for Dakota interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking for Dakota interest

I have created this Dakota forum to see if there is sufficient interest. Apparently the Dakota will be discontinued in the 2011 model year. I read that, at least. Does anyone know if that is wrong?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Not sure, but

if he is right, our Dakotas will be instant classics!

Comment

Dakota's demise has

been discussed at www.Allpar.com. They are saying that a "smaller" truck may be what comes to us. A truck being called a "lifestyle" vehicle that will be capable, but "not as capable" as the current 3rd generation Dakota.

I hate to see this happen. I have had a 1987, (1st year production), a 2000 and now a 2005 model Dakota. Good 4X4 truck that gets me around, but not so good with gas mileage. (I have the 4.7 V8).

If Dakota does go down, I will probably opt for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton when the 2005 needs replaced.

L8R - T8R's

Comment

When will they offer a small, diesel powered truck is one thing I would like to know.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

diesel ?

Unknown for me at this time. That could make things interestin', to say the least.

Comment

l said it in the other post / l would not have bother with this board because even thou the Dak is considered mid-size / l consider it FULL-size because of the fact of the V8 motor and tranny and t-case and rearend are ALL the same as a full-size / basically its a Ram 1500 drivetrain in a smaller package

thats like the ramcharger and trailduster names added to the full size board / everybody knows there dodge trucks except the ONE person that asked

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              I have created this Dakota forum to see if there is sufficient interest. Apparently the Dakota will be discontinued in the 2011 model year. I read that, at least. Does anyone know if that is wrong?

Fiat has dictated the end due to low sales numbers. Something like 12-14k units for each of 2009 and 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by wayfarer View Post
                Fiat has dictated the end due to low sales numbers. Something like 12-14k units for each of 2009 and 2010.

Not Fiat.
                These decisions happen 2-4 years in advance. The decision was made under Daimler to move Durango to the Grand Cherokee platform.
                That effectively sealed Dakota's fate...for now. The new "Lifestyle" truck is in development and could very well be named Dakota. Think this:

Comment

...only reporting what I have read in auto industry publications.......

Comment

That's fine, I explained it in the other Dakota thread...and don't believe everything you read in "industry publications", I don't believe everything Chrysler tells me face to face...
                    My point to you was that the decision was made long before Fiat came on board.
                    Nearly everything you are seeing in the 2011 model turnaround was started by Cerberus.
                    Fiat, to it's credit, allowed it to continue and in fact improved upon it, but what you see today, started 2-3 years ago.
                    Marchionne made a commitment and sped up the process.

Comment

Norm,

The prototype looks like a Honda Ridgeline which to me is a worthless vehicle. If the new Dakota has McPherson struts all around like the Ridgeline, it won't have any off road capability and forget about putting a plow on it. It will be reduced to fetching a couple of bags of mulch and potted plants.

Any word about a diesel for this new car/truck vehicle?

Joe

Comment

That's the ugliest piece of equipment I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JStinson View Post
                          That's the ugliest piece of equipment I have ever seen.
                          Not by a long shot for me, think Pontiac Aztek, Toyota Prius, Nissan Cube and other oddballs. Now those are hideous!

Going off that picture posted above, it sure does have a definitive Fiat feel to it with that nose. At least it looks like the bed and cab are separate, unlike the Ridgeline. This means it will be a body on frame design as opposed to a unibody rig. Macpherson struts arent generally used on a body on frame rig. Generally an A arm type of independent suspension can be expected on those rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparFreak69 View Post
                            Not by a long shot for me, think Pontiac Aztek, Toyota Prius, Nissan Cube and other oddballs. Now those are hideous!

Going off that picture posted above, it sure does have a definitive Fiat feel to it with that nose. At least it looks like the bed and cab are separate, unlike the Ridgeline. This means it will be a body on frame design as opposed to a unibody rig. Macpherson struts arent generally used on a body on frame rig. Generally an A arm type of independent suspension can be expected on those rigs.
                            Those are ugly machines for sure. But I think this one takes the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Flo View Post
                              Norm,

The prototype looks like a Honda Ridgeline which to me is a worthless vehicle. If the new Dakota has McPherson struts all around like the Ridgeline, it won't have any off road capability and forget about putting a plow on it. It will be reduced to fetching a couple of bags of mulch and potted plants.

Any word about a diesel for this new car/truck vehicle?

Joe
                              NO word on engines but one new version going to be built from the Caravan architecture, like the one in the picture. Don't expect much, it's the way of the future.
                              ...HOWEVER, Dodge just announced a new Tradesman Package with a list of standard features on a base model Ram, with no carpet, no center consol, no power windows and no bells and whistles, but with a Hemi, for around $23,000.

Comment

Working...
                              X