My 1954 XM37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1954 XM37

Hi to all on this great web.This is the best and most informative site I've been on.I love seeing all of your trucks and reading the stories behind each one.You are a great bunch!!!
    This is my first post.( don't type to well and can't spell worth a dang) I want to add my truck to your sight.
    This is my second M37,my first was a ground up stock restoration which I sold five years ago.This truck had alot of parts missing and came with a blown (civilian) flat head six.This is what the truck has evolved into at this point in time since I started on it in about 1999.
    It has a 318,np 435, stock np 200, stock axles with 4.89 gears,power steering,modified m-37 hubs,four wheel disc brakes,wilwood hanging pedals and remote clutch and brake master cylinders.
    There are a few things I plan to improve on next winter but for now I just want it ready for th MV Season ( MV Rallys and Airshows)My wife and I also
    have a M35A2c we take to the events.Thanks again for the great Forum.
    Fred
    Attached Files
    Last edited by COOP; 05-08-2006, 09:03 PM.

Sweet looking truck, thanks for the pictures!

Comment

Thank's for the compliment Bobby. I'm glad the pictures posted.The first ones I tried to send were to large so I had to take them over today.

Semper Fi!

coop

Comment

Wow! Great looking truck!

Comment

Looking Real Good

Hey COOP,
          Nice job, power to spare! Glad that your here, tell us about your brake system?
          Uhh-Rahh,

Comment

Thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce,
            Thanks for the kind words. I can email some pics of my brake setup if you like .I went to a local race care shop and got a set of wilwood swing pedals 6:1 ratio and three us brake master cylinders with remote reservoir. The clutch is a 1" bore and the front and rear disk are 7/8" bore .I still have to apply more leg power than I intended on the brake pedal so I plan to try 3/4 " master cylinders sometime in the future. I also could change the pedal ratio I guess.
            It's a never ending learning curve for sure .I always seem to start at the wrong end of the curve! As for the Hubs, I bought four used M37 hubs faced the back side and welded a 1" thick burn out ring to the back side of the flange. I also welded the stock five hole pattern up
            and re drilled the hubs to a 8 hole pattern. I then used 1978 3/4 ton Chevy brake rotor and caliper setup.My caliper brackets I had burnout rings made out of 3/8" steel to match the old brake backing plate hole pattern then welded two ears on the outside of the ring to match the caliper which intern offset the caliper towards the outside of the axle so it lined up with the rotor.The HMMWV wheels have enough clearance with this setup but the wheel stick out about 1-1/2" further. I can send pics if you want.
            coop

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in MI
              Wow! Great looking truck!
              Thanks Bill !!
              coop

Comment

'54 M37

Spectacular truck. I would be very interested in any more details (and pics) of your conversion. Did you use the Helitool mounts or make your own, etc? Did the 435 come with the engine or separately and do you know what year that tranny is? Again, great truck!
                David

Comment

Originally posted by dbemis
                  Spectacular truck. I would be very interested in any more details (and pics) of your conversion. Did you use the Helitool mounts or make your own, etc? Did the 435 come with the engine or separately and do you know what year that tranny is? Again, great truck!
                  David
                  Hi David,
                  I can email some pictures .I didn't use Helitool parts .I talked to Ray who was kind enough to tell me how he modified his hubs but I wanted to modify my wheel pattern also to 8 lug so I chose a different way.
                  The 318 is a 1974 and did not come with the np435.The guy I bought the 435 from didn't say what year it was(67 to 87)The bell housing is the cast iron version used with the slant six or 318. I will send some pictures and try to locate some of my notes.The older I get the harder it is for me to remember anything.To many brain cells burnt out! ha ha

Fred

Comment

Nice truck. What type of winch do you have on there?

Comment

Indiana M-37 Owner

Hey Coop,
                      Great lookin truck!! Where in Indiana are you? I'm 50 mile south of Indy
                      (click on image)
                      Last edited by Gregg; 05-07-2006, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spelunker
                        Nice truck. What type of winch do you have on there?
                        Hi Spelunker,
                        The winch is a Mile Marker 12,000lb Hydraulic winch that runs off the power steering pump.

coop

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg
                          Hey Coop,
                          Great lookin truck!! Where in Indiana are you? I'm 50 mile south of Indy
                          (click on image)
                          Hey Gregg,Thanks for the compliment.
                          I'm about 50 miles east of Indy near New Castle.Maybe we will run in to each other at one of the MV rallys.Do you go to the one in Anderson,IN?
                          coop

Comment

Welcome to the site Coop,
                            Never been to the Anderson Show.Pretty long drive,Indianapolis is about as far as I drive my M, 50 mile @ 40MPH = 2 1/2 Hr. drive (alot of stop lites on US31).But I am thinking of going to SteelSoliders Rally @ Haspin Acres,I've been there before, really nice place to trail ride.

Comment

Nice looking truck, looks well thought out and organized. You should bring it to the MVPA show in Dayton Ohio in June.

Comment

Working...
                              X