Numbers by color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim,
    I have now added that little panel to my wish list.
    Today while continuing to try and find/recover lost photos I found this photo of some Dodge paint chips that I assume I must have gotten online at some point in the distant past. It is not included in the group referenced earlier in this thread.
    David
    Attached Files

Comment

Blue PW on Ebay

There is a 1949 PW for sale right now on eBay that is dark(ish) blue. (Has a pickup bed, not the 1950 flatbed one.) The seller states that the interior is original paint while the exterior was repainted 20 years ago. He states that the repaint was in the same color as original. Looking at the photos, it seems to me that in fact the interior and under the hood look to be very similar if not the same as my truck, while the exterior seems to be just a tad lighter. The contrast between the black fenders and the blue body and bed is more pronounced than with my truck. I realize that this post must seem fairly egocentric, but since I started the thread and have requested any photos of other dark blue PWs I thought it appropriate to add this observation. By the way, I of course love the truck. (As well as all the others for sale right now.)
      David

Comment

Update

Earlier on in this thread photos of the contrast between the black of the fenders and the blue of my cab/hood were requested and I was unable to provide them at that time. Yesterday I had a chance to pull the truck out into the sun and get some pictures. Here are two. Please note that both the lower door panels and radiator shell are painted black on this truck.
        On a different subject, I also took the opportunity to test how well "Original formula" GOJO waterless hand cleaner worked on the old vinyl/naugahyde seat material as a cleaner. This was suggested on another forum and was one of many interesting ideas I have come across in researching how to preserve old vinyl. The biggest issue with vinyl is that the plasticizers added to the pvc during manufacture to give the material it's flexibility are lost over time. There is no over the counter remedy available that I can find. The long standing norm is to replace the material. Since I do not wish to do that, I have been looking into the subject and have found a number of papers and patent applications covering process(es) claiming to be able to reintroduce plastecizers to already manufactured vinyl. Armor All assumed one of these patents back in the early 90's, but as far as I know has not produced a product out of it. The patent they assumed also described how to include a number of additives with beneficial properties like UV resistance, mold resistance and others. The chemicals involved are not easily acquired and I am not sure of how I am going to pursue this further. With the increased interest in preservation (vs restoration) I think techniques for breathing new life into old vinyl could be quite useful. If I can find a way to test the processes I have come across I will, but until then I am just experimenting with the best care techniques I can learn of. The GOJO did an OK job and the seat material looked better and seemed to feel a little better too. I am going to continue to try out other products as knowledge opportunity allow.
        David
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the photos David. I think they show the contrast well, not so much in the fender as it is really reflecting the blue from the hood. But I can clearly see it comparing the hood to the cowl and door.

I like the combination.

Comment

Clint,
            Thank you for the reply. While I study up on ways to preserve exposed metal, you can see that I have applied (although not recently) liberal amounts of wax which shows as white on all the spots where there is or was surface rust. I have been learning about various resins etc that are used by conservators. This too is not a settled science or art and once I feel a little better grounded I will test one (or some?) Reversibility is considered a key quality. Transparency as well.
            David

Comment

Working...
            X