Firewall Mounted Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall Mounted Oil Filter

My truck is a P318 and has a spin on oil filter.

There was also a canister filter that uses the replaceable cartridge on the firewall which I removed today since the lines were dangling and not hooked up.

According to the shop manual, the V8s had the spin-ons and the 6 cyl had the canister filter.

My VIN indicates my truck was indeed equipped with the 318, yet the presence of this filter perplexes me.

Any thoughts?

There are several after-market filter systems that have been available over the years. Amzoil is has one that comes to mind. As I recall, they were a by-pass system, similar to those used on the 230 and 251 powered 1 ton civilian trucks. They were designed to help remove more of the finer contaminates that the spin-on full flow filters miss.

I use both filtration systems on all my engine builds.

CD
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I have a 1960 W300, Poly 318 V8, with the oil filter on the firewall. I thought the spin-on adapter was an aftermarket part.

Comment

Thanks Joe. That looks EXACTLY like mine, off kilter mounting and all.

Appreciate the reply.

Comment

Can a guy still get an adaptor to replace the engine mounted cartridge style filter with a spin on filter? I just changed the oil in my 63 Townwagon 318 poly engine tonight and I would like to have a spin on style. If so where can a guy get an adaptor?

Comment

Search for Fram K21, prices vary.

(From T137 archives)
            Here are some part numbers to get individual parts :

Adapter Plate # 3671602

Gasket # 3671314, or they may have changed the gasket number to 489739AA

Threaded Adapter fitting # 2402103

Take the canister off, install the gasket, then the plate, and screw in the adapter fitting to the plate, then a spin on filter will fit. (The filter is a Fram PH8-A).

Comment

Thank you. That helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparman View Post
                Thanks Joe. That looks EXACTLY like mine, off kilter mounting and all.

Appreciate the reply.
                So that is a stock filter canister? I wonder why it would be mounted in such a manner...

CD
                1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                1954 Ford 860 tractor
                1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

I have seen several Power Giants with that same filter housing and location. I believe them to be stock units. Why they are mounted at that angle I do not know.
                  1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                  2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

oil filter

Another place to get a spin on adapter is Hot Heads

Comment

They are definitely stock units. My 58 W300 and the Power Giant parts trucks I have all have that same can, or quite similar at least. About two years ago I replaced the one on my W300 with a remote mount spin on filter in the same location because the proper filter cartridge was no longer available... at least not anywhere that I could find. I do like the remote mount on the firewall, I find it more convenient to change than a block mounted filter, especially considering how high the W300 sits.

Comment

Working...
                      X