The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple o thoughts

Before buying the ARB take a look at Thomas compressors, you may be able to get one at a decent price in the States and they are top of the line, even better than the ARB. That said I would rather have the ARB than the Viair that I have at present.
    Shifter, what no push button style? Take a gander at lime works columns, might be of interest for an old style shifter if you are bent that way. All most people see is the outside of the truck. You could put the shifter on the ceiling and most folks would not notice.
    Going for a hike.....driving the carryall.

Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
      Before buying the ARB take a look at Thomas compressors, you may be able to get one at a decent price in the States and they are top of the line, even better than the ARB. That said I would rather have the ARB than the Viair that I have at present.
      Shifter, what no push button style? Take a gander at lime works columns, might be of interest for an old style shifter if you are bent that way. All most people see is the outside of the truck. You could put the shifter on the ceiling and most folks would not notice.
      Going for a hike.....driving the carryall.

Bruce
      Thanks! I'll certainly look into the Thomas Compressors. I've heard good things about them in the Off Road community. I think I've committed to my center console floor shifter. I am making good use of the forced space. I can also quick mount a GPS / backup camera device in front of the shifter that can easily be removed before auto-shows.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• I am not sure why but that box works.

Perhaps it is the battery box on the Carryall or all the ammo boxes that have abrupt corners, I am not sure why but that shifter box works and looks fine. A lot of military interior stuff looks much like your shifter box, perhaps that is why the box does not look out of place but more like it belongs there.
        I had the Carryall out in some serious nasty crap today. Managed to pop the mirror glass out of my drivers mirror and the truck is covered in leaves and twigs. Lost sight of the road on numerous occasions because it was so over grown. The twin transfer cases got used a couple of times and I am very happy that I went to the effort and expense of adding them to the build. I was looking out the mirror at how close the running board was to a tree. At the same time the opposite side rear tire was climbing what I thought of as a small rock. The roof came to about half an inch from the tree and the running board pulled away from the tree by about half an inch. This is going to take some getting used to, I did not air down because of my concerns about cracking the tires. I am not sure if airing down would amplify the side motion or diminish it but the movement is something to be aware of, I certainly want to avoid having a dent like the one Ugg had in his Carryall when he bought it.
        On the return trip I was surprised to see I had kissed one tree. Just a junky old Alder. Not sure what came in contact and I see no damage to the truck but I will need to do an inspection later in the week.
        All in all a good trip, found a nice hard to reach lake that might make a nice camping destination. The route in needs a bit of trimming to be viable.
        That shifter box really should not work Alex. But it does and that makes it even more special, the thing looks right at home and military to boot. Once again good on you.

Bruce

edit: back up cameras, I am starting to think you can not have too many. I like mine. It is a waste having it only work when in reverse, I am going to fix that issue now that I have experience with them.
        edit 11: We are going to hit 450,000 views this week. That is pretty decent .

Comment

• Be interesting to see what this one sells for!
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Power-...m=111993118163

Comment

• Check out the rims and rake on this Carryall.

No clue what the chap is saying and the side shots and overspray on the glass says a lot about the quality of the build but still the video is of interest.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZuOSBisYo8

I replaced my fuel pump. After 30 years I figured it would not be a foolish move.
            The old pump manual lever never seemed to work..... turns out that is because the engine always stops on the same stroke , which is the one when the pump cam lever is depressed, so of course the manual lever has nada to work with.
            Got the new pump on and the engine fired right up. No issues with air in the lines. At least that was in the driveway, gotta take it out for a run and a wash.

Bruce

Comment

• Love the wheels on his truck!! What do you think....20" ? What would they be off of, to fit the Dodge hub? An artillery wheel?

Comment

• Hi Mark, the wheels could have come off of an earlier Dodge 2 ton truck. Many years fit the same hub.
                My Boy and I made it home in one piece. Thanks for all your help. I have put a new "C" and "B" post in, and will put a new floor in Saturday.
                I'll send you some pictures.
                James

Comment

• Hi James, Been thinking about you and wondering how things went. Glad to hear you made it home OK. Very interested to see your progress. Looking forward to pics! About the wheels....I thought the 2 ton wheels used a larger bolt pattern than the PW's and WC's did?

Comment

No clue what the chap is saying and the side shots and overspray on the glass says a lot about the quality of the build but still the video is of interest.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZuOSBisYo8

I replaced my fuel pump. After 30 years I figured it would not be a foolish move.
                    The old pump manual lever never seemed to work..... turns out that is because the engine always stops on the same stroke , which is the one when the pump cam lever is depressed, so of course the manual lever has nada to work with.
                    Got the new pump on and the engine fired right up. No issues with air in the lines. At least that was in the driveway, gotta take it out for a run and a wash.

Bruce
                    That was a cool video, looks like 20" wheels off some old Russian rolling stock. After that video finished this one popped up next. It's a half ton carryall getting a 6BT installed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppd2qDFsQgw [/I]

Comment

• That id not work...episode 26

Changed the water pump on the 4BT, it was working fine, but the belt squeaks like crazy and it did not for the first 500 miles. So far I have replaced the belt, the tensioner and now the pump. Next will be the bearings in the alternator and the last thing to do will be the fan mount. After that I guess I get to live with the darn squeal.
                      I gotta say that the Cummins engine is pretty well thought out. It took longer finding the tools than it took to change the pump. Simple and easy, well thought out, like an early Dodge PW.
                      James it has been a long time since you posted, let alone tossed in any pictures, I was wondering how you were doing. Looks to me like you are falling in love with the Carryall and can not bring enough of them back to life.
                      Mark, that 6BT crossmember shown in the video, is pretty clean. Only issue I would have is there is not enough room to pull the pan. Pulling the pan with the engine in the frame can save hours. I managed to change the crank in one vehicle with the engine still in place and have done quite a few rod and main bearings with the block left in the frame. I like the option and that is why my carryall has a crossmember that can be dropped.

take care
                      Bruce

450,000 views....500,000 by next christmas?

edit: I went back and admired Alex's shift box today, and then looked at some of the other neat stuff on the truck. Pretty darn sweet.

Comment

I like the option and that is why my carryall has a crossmember that can be dropped.

edit: I went back and admired Alex's shift box today, and then looked at some of the other neat stuff on the truck. Pretty darn sweet.
                        I'm with you... my midship cross member can be removed with only a few bolts to get the oil pan free. Mine also has to be removed in order for the tail housing of the transmission to drop as the transmission cannot be separated from the engine while still in the truck. Sacrifices of building a custom vehicle with too big of an engine and transmission combo.

Thank you for the kind words on the shifter box. Some of the misc little goodies showed up and I shared this photo with some friends and one said it looked like the interior of a Mini Cooper... I took offense.. maybe I over reacted as I later looked up the interior of one and it has the switch guards... I guess he's never noticed the interior of any bombers or aircraft built since the '40s.

Comment

• Re: 20" Tires

With regard to 20" rims with the same bolt pattern as the stock 16" rims. There were a number of applications for them. The ones I have on my Carryall were originally Ford rims. I have 1100x20 tires on them (approximately 42" Dia.) This picture is 12 years old since I lost all my other photos last winter.
                          David
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Are those the wheels off the 1930's AA Ford 1.5 ton trucks? Did you have to remove about 1/16" off the dia. of the center hole to get them past the hubs? I have seen them before, but with (I think), 8:00 rubber on them. I wasn't aware that you could get 11:00 rubber on them.... They look fantastic! Did you finish the project? Any turning issues with the 11:00's? Would like to see a pic of your Carryall!

Comment

• Squealing belt problem solved.

The squeal has been cured or it has left to annoy someone else. The squeal first arrived around the 500 mile mark. I stopped the truck to visit a fellow and it started squealing from there on in. I changed the belt, which fixed the problem for about 12 minutes. I then changed the bearings and the wheel on the tensioner. This seemed to help a bit but the noise was still there. So last week I changed the water pump and the squeal was worse than before. It was louder and was continuous whereas before it was quiet at start up.
                              So yesterday the alternator got pulled and a sleeve was installed to take up the slop between the long bolt and where the bolt goes through the alternator. This made no difference even though it stopped the alternator from being cocked at an angle. So this morning I started to run a straight edge across the pulleys and found the alternator was about 1/8 of an inch too far forward. So I pulled the bracket moved some parts around and added a washer, which moved the alternator back 3/32. To get more movement I need to file some bits.
                              Results ? No squeal on start up, no squeal on the highway and no squeal while crawling up a few hills. That was a lot of poking around for a simple problem.
                              Interesting thing is all the paint was on the bracket. Nothing had shifted and I had not created the issue, the set up was all factory.
                              Next challenge will be the new turbo.

Take care
                              Bruce

where does one purchase those wire protectors for the switches?

Comment

• Good deal on finding your noise making culprit. I'd wager that the side of the belt was wearing down and causing the noise or its possible the pulley was building up rubber and the rubber to rubber was the friction making noise.

The switch guards are from Perihelion Design in Mass. They are the exact ones used on the space shuttle. Its amazing what you can find on the internet.

Could use some help now.

I'm looking to setup my parking brake and want to duplicate what you are running with the M37 drum brake.

Does anyone have an M37 drum brake assembly they'd be willing to box up and send my way? Or should I just order all new from VPW and build my own support off the back of the T-case? I have an extra case on my bud's shop floor I could build off of on the bench. The operation rod is going to be a bit crazy and a push pull cable would probably work more effectively.

Comment

Working...
                                X