Brake source help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake source help

Hi gang, I know its hard to find parts for our trucks, especially brakes, but who could you recommend best source of brake parts for the W300s years 1962 thru 1968? I need drums, wheels cylinders or rebuild kits and linings.
    A tall order but all four corners need rebuilding. I know the rear drums are impossible to get. But this forum is the only place to turn to that I could think of. Thank you in advance..Here is my truck. The axles don't have markings but they appear to be Dana 70s.
    Attached Files

yes those are Dana 70's

Vintage Power Wagons may have some of the brake parts. They have an online catalog.

Bucky

Comment

This may ruffle some feathers as I don't know what your preference is for the truck (or your vehicles in general) but if they're that hard to get have you looked at doing a disk brake conversion?

A quick search turned up lots of info about disk brake conversions for the Dana 70. If it's like many conversions I've seen they end up using parts from something more common/modern for the caliper, rotors, and pads so things become a lot easier.

It's more involved than just fixing the brakes but long term could make life a lot easier. It's one of the reasons I converted my WDX to disks, everything that might need replaced are common Chevy parts that I can get from any auto parts store easily and cheaply.

Comment

It very well may come to that as I have had a couple of folks suggest the same thing. My problem is I can get anything for the front but the rear is the sticking points. Did convert the rear Dana 70 with disc brakes?

Comment

Did I convert a Dana 70? No, I converted my 46 Power Wagon from drums to disks at all four corners. It uses Chrysler designed axles which are unique, luckily they are also identical front to rear as far as brakes go so the same kit works for either axle, but that doesn't help you.

On the plus side the rear brakes do not do as much work as the fronts so a disk kit shouldn't loose you any performance. The biggest downside is that the parking brake never really works as well. There appears to be lots of options and help for the swap if you decide to go that route.

Was the 70 used on any other brand vehicles? Could you for instance (again might be blasphemous) get a rear kit from a Ford or Chevy that is easier to get parts for?

Comment

Originally posted by Desoto61 View Post
            Did I convert a Dana 70? No, I converted my 46 Power Wagon from drums to disks at all four corners. It uses Chrysler designed axles which are unique, luckily they are also identical front to rear as far as brakes go so the same kit works for either axle, but that doesn't help you.

On the plus side the rear brakes do not do as much work as the fronts so a disk kit shouldn't loose you any performance. The biggest downside is that the parking brake never really works as well. There appears to be lots of options and help for the swap if you decide to go that route.

Was the 70 used on any other brand vehicles? Could you for instance (again might be blasphemous) get a rear kit from a Ford or Chevy that is easier to get parts for?
            Yes. They were used on military jeeps. But good news. Now that I have the truck on jack stands and everything apart the drums appear to be decent shape. I just have to find a place that can turn them. The bearings are perfects. So I'll be replacing all brake hardware which easy to get. Then I'll move onto the parking brake.

Comment

Aside from VPW, try to check out hagensautoparts.

Comment

brake parts

My local NAPA store had the wheel cylinders

Comment

Rock Auto has come through on some parts

Comment

Working...
                  X