Restoring rubber parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring rubber parts

I have been doing a little research into products that can soften and preserve old, hardened rubber. I have seen suggestions ranging from WD40, Lestoil, silicone spray, brake fluid, ATF, Armorall to using a dishwasher and silicone grease. I suspect there is someone on this forum that knows a thing or two about re-using old rubbers.......;) Any stories or recommendations?

rejuvinated rubbers

I've had pretty good luck sandblasting old rubber parts that have been painted, removes the paint and the outer dried crumbly layer, the windshield gasket on my m37 came out like brand new, now that I think about it a few coats of paint may have kept it from dry rotting. Anyway, had good luck with this method, some kind of conditioner or preservative after blasting seems like a good idea.

Comment

I've had some luck with petroleum jelly (Vaseline). Liberally coating the part and letting it soak in over a day or two, depending on the condition of the part.

Comment

In my experience, the best way to go is a product called Varn Rubber rejuvenator. It's commonly used in the printing industry to restore rubber press rollers.

Comment

Working...
        X