No announcement yet.

The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^ Thanks for the advice on the metal work. I am picking up a porta power tomorrow and also I have a buddy with two more of them so I can push in all kinds of directions. This weekend I am going to gut the interior of it and get some more pictures and such.

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
    Just how available are parts for your eaton rear ?
    New parts are somewhat available. Seals, hub bearings, and carrier bearings. The pinion bearings can be found but are VERY expensive. However, I am a certifiable hoarder when it comes to the Eaton rears. I have quite a stack of them. I've got several third members that are geared in 4.56 and 5.14, and a few of them have No-Spin differentials. However, I have a friend who has figured out how to machine an ARB 14 bolt carrier to accept the ring gear of the HO72s so I am hoping to go that route.

I run them in both of the Jeeps here at the house... One in my wife's daily driven TJ...

And another in my trail rig...

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• That is pretty

Looks like you have the axle situation covered . No sense going to something new if you have the parts and can make them work with little expense .
      Very nice looking axle .
      Take care - I am climbing some technical stuff tomorrow , got my crampons and ice axe sitting in the living room . One of these days I can load that gear up in my Carryall .

Bruce

Comment

• time to throw my hat in the ring

hey all,
        I have very much enjoyed this section of the forum, it have kept me motivated thru the past 5 years,
        its fun to watch what others have done, and all kinds of ideas raced thru my head but in the end I went old school back to the roots,
        how does one attach a picture?[

Comment

• Pictures

To attach pictures you first need to be a sub holder or send something to Gordon that gets published . I fired off a cartoon , no idea if it will or can be published and have a few articles that need to be sent off . If Gordon can use an article that you have submitted I think you get a subscription . Not sure of the exact nuance .
          Anyway there is no little paper clip in my header at this time , I do have a few photos I would like to post and will do so if I ever manage to get my status updated .
          I do like pictures , they create incentive .

Comment

• If you are not a subcriber or paid forum user you cannot attach pictures to your posts. If you don't want to pay another option is to link to the pictures using the little picture icon. However you have to have them hosted elsewhere like Picasa, or Flicr, etc.

You can do higher resolution than you can by attaching them here, and you can put as many as you like in a post, but they will only be visible as long as they are hosted on the other site.

Comment

• Does anyone have any good pictures of a completed stock interior? Mine is in a million pieces and it would be nice to know about what they looked like stock. Its funny when I think about it as the one I own is the ONLY one I've ever seen in person, much less put my hands on.

Comment

• Carryall Interior Pics

Not mine, just ones I have saved off the internet for reference. DavidGB
                Attached Files

Comment

• More. Same.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• And more.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Thank you SOOO much for posting those! They are certainly going to help me out for figuring out what parts I have and what goes where, and how to go about re-finishing the interior.

So far I've managed to get the truck in the shop, pull the interior out and also started to push on the rear some with the porta power last night. I was gentle to start out and didn't have a lot of time to mess with it, but I made some forward progress. I am going to keep working at it next week when I can get back to it.

Pulled all of the interior out.

The gate actually latches back shut on its own again now!!!

Comment

• Body filler

You may want to use a body filler that is free of talc . I use All Metal which uses aluminum in place of the talc . There are other fillers that use metal instead of talc . The down side is the filler is harder to work with and takes more time . The upside is that the filler will not absorb water and rust will not form around or under the filler .
                        This thread just went up a notch , thanks for the new input and update guys .

Bruce

Comment

• New Stuff?

Originally posted by Bruce in BC View Post
                          You may want to use a body filler that is free of talc . I use All Metal which uses aluminum in place of the talc . There are other fillers that use metal instead of talc . The down side is the filler is harder to work with and takes more time . The upside is that the filler will not absorb water and rust will not form around or under the filler .
                          This thread just went up a notch , thanks for the new input and update guys .

Bruce
                          Is this a new product, where is it available?

Comment

• Not a new product

Made by USC . I am sure there are others , because I have used them , but I am uncertain of the brand or manufacture . Not the cheapest filler but I consider it the best filler to use . You can get a very smooth finish . Not sure but I think I have used one form or other of this type of filler at least as far back as 1973 . Never a failure with the product since I started using the stuff . Production body shops do not use the product because of the extra paper and time it takes to shape the product but I have seen it used in some restoration / one off high end type shops .
                            I am tempted to go through my stock in the shop and see if there are any other brands left in a cupboard . Filler does not last too long around here , tends to go hard in the can - even unopened cans . Got some 40 year old lacquer that looks as good as the day it went in the can , but no hot rod to use it on ..... yet .

Comment

• Made some more progress this evening... I "might" actually be able to save this gate afterall!!!

Comment

• This is indeed an epic thread. Thanks to Bruce for all he has done, and to all who participate!
                                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
                                X