The WC53 Carryall thread .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work DR

I'm impressed with your commitment to save her, we have all seen decent vehicles just rust away in driveways waiting for someone to finally get started on a rebuild or restoration. Glad to see you making progress

Comment

• I like the little detail around the intercooler piping, nice workmanship.

Comment

• Well, my wife thinks I should be committed anyways, Tony...

After seeing the condition of many of the other vehicles I certainly had a lot more to do, metalwise. However, I saw the truck online and it just called to me.

Bruce, I'm not sure what to do with the batteries. I put them there some time ago without a serious plan,(still lacking that). I don't care for the side mount box. I may even make the running boards removeable for emergency ramps. No matter what though, this project has certainly been "worth the effort". I have learned an incredible amount, of metal work, creative fabrication and design, and perseverance, and will have an awesome truck when complete.

On another note, I fabbed up a bracket and turned a shafted nut for a steering box stabilizer. The mid to late 90's Dodge are infamous for the "Death Wobble". This should help.

and thank you D61
        Attached Files

Comment

• censored

funny

Comment

• lol

lol...

Comment

• Someone who doesn't post much in this forum, if at all, sent me a message asking how it was possible that I mounted the steering box for my cross over steering inside of the frame rail but was still able to plate the frame on the inside... Easier to explain with pictures...

Also, I had to transfer all of my holes from the outside of the frame to the inside of the frame... so I made this. Its some hard but machinable plastic and an 1/8" guide, 5/16" od press fit knurled drill bushing and a long TIN coated pilot bit. This gives me a pretty square transfer pilot hole through to the back side of the frame and then I just drill from the back side. This is especially helpful considering my suspension bracketry is all 1/2" -3/4" dia hardware.

1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

• This isn't completely Carryall related but my wife found me something to store some parts in while mine is all torn down and it can't be more appropriate. I need to pull it back down to take a picture of the remnants of the decal on the underside of the big drawer cabinet.

Stack Safe Cabinet
                Baltimore, MD
                June 1941

And they are painted OD green already... and its original paint based on the scratches and such. Brass handles, copper guide rails for the sliding dividers inside... the cabinets are awesome.

Comment

• Getting some more work done... Finally getting my hands on this rear cross member build over the axle. The slits are for the upper shock tabs to go in and through and the back side will be the mounts for the fuel tank mount / skid supports etc.

Its just hanging on the clamps at the moment, I still need to close in the bottom... (box shape is stronger in torsion than an open C-channel) and I am debating if I feel like fighting the bottom plate with the flared holes or just drilling drains and being done with it. The flared holes make the material SOOO much more rigid. Plus I dig the aircraft look. This is all from 1/8" hot roll. Planning on having the whole frame acid dipped when its all said and done.

Comment

• OOOoooohhhhhhhh.

That is pretty.
                    I am off to the big smoke on Tuesday , hopefully I can gets some gas.
                    I like those slots for the tabs, and the dimples

Comment

• Cool

Nice looking work as always Alex. and those cabinets are a find!

Comment

• Great work Alex. I am taking notes and I will be appropriating elements of your design . Although I think I am staying with leafs for now. After I bob my chassis I will decide. The airbag/coilover combo might work well for what I have in mind.

Comment

• Thanks for all the compliments guys. Its nice to be back working on this thing again.

Was wondering if anyone near-ish me is looking for a nice set of front 3/4 ton fenders? I picked up that extra set a while back and now I'm going through my parts stash and cleaning up around the house some. I don't hope to need this extra front set of fenders. They are in good shape with NO rust, but the pass side could use a little massage work as you can see it was rolled over a touch at one time. They are off of a WC56 but should still be same thing.

Only pictures I have of them at the moment.

Comment

• fenders

I know someone that's interested in the fenders. He's not on line. Send me the price and your number and I'll pass it on to him. Jim
                            khill10atjuno.com

Comment

• Originally posted by bobyepsr View Post
                              I know someone that's interested in the fenders. He's not on line. Send me the price and your number and I'll pass it on to him. Jim
                              khill10atjuno.com
                              Thanks! Email sent!

For anyone out on the West Coast looking for a set of tires and wheels like mine...

This is a good deal here...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/4504604874.html

Comment

• Nice Carryall on Joe's Photo Buys!

It would certainly look good with a couple extra doors and Alex's suspension and wheels and Bruce's power train. Then a coat of Purple metallic .

Comment

Working...
                                X