No announcement yet.

Going farther than I intended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider the normal direction of air flow through the motor. Can you achieve that?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I need to look at a exploded parts view, Not sure if the wiper works like an electric motor and just goes around and around or if there is a mechanical switch that pushes the flapper back and fourth which I think is the case. I believe it would work as long as you keep the air flow the same, I would need to input compressed air where the vacuum motor takes in air from the cab and expel air at the vacuum connection.

Comment

Alright finally found a decent diagram, the wipers will not work on compressed air, the mechanical switch has to be reversed somehow so that you are pushing the paddle instead of pulling it.

Comment

Why don't you want to run them on vacuum?

Comment

LOL, I have this issue of always wanting to re-invent the wheel and now that I have thought of the idea I am wondering if it would work.

Comment

It would if you could make a connection.

Comment

you're running a gas engine so it will still make plenty of vacuum and the 351 should have plenty of power so you won't be throwing it wide open as often. Electric is still a good option though and would certainly be easier than pressurizing the system.

Comment

Cleaning weekend

Had a good weekend cleaning up my work area, work is progressing almost ready to start painting the frame.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great!

Comment

Back at it

After some family issues a winter that was too cold to paint during and the summer (I take summers off from any work on the truck) I am back at it, painted the back 2/3rd of the frame I am now working on the rear end putting in new seals and painting it as well. After the rear end is done I will work on the front.

Comment

Cummins re power

I was going to install a 5.7 liter V8 in my truck now with the delay I can afford to buy a Cummins 4bt. Looking for opinions problems and anything else I am not thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack605 View Post
                          I was going to install a 5.7 liter V8 in my truck now with the delay I can afford to buy a Cummins 4bt. Looking for opinions problems and anything else I am not thinking of.
                          Finding the right 4BT is vital. The water aftercooler makes installation easier but seem to be less common as most bread-trucks were air aftercooled, which can be done but is more work as I'm just getting ready to tackle. It also needs to be an on-road engine, lots of off-road applications for these engines but they don't have the right pump for automotive use. The later common rail motors are even more rare, and have some additional technical challenges, but give some really nice benefits in performance and NVH.

After that the hard part is what transmission/transfer case assembly you want to use. There are tradeoffs with all of them, but again finding one set up for the type of trans you are thinking about will save a lot of time and money of trying to find/buy the right parts. Might want to start at the 4BT swaps forum, more info than you'll know what to do with there.

Comment

Jack605 where are you located? I've gathered most of the components needed for my next project. I'm going to be using a 4bta with a Ford ZF. I have the bidirectional pto and also will have the option of using the power steering pump for winch power as well. I need to get my current project together so I can return to the cummins build. Jim

Comment

I'm located in the far west suburbs of Chicago, I understand the multiple project problem I currently have another project that takes up some of my time but the majority of time I want to spend working on the M37. I have found a place that has a couple of 4bta with four and five speed transmissions already attached so the workings between the two should be good it is just a question of getting the engine in the truck and the suspension beefed up to support it and all the other little problems that will crop up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack605 View Post
                                I have found a place that has a couple of 4bta with four and five speed transmissions already attached so the workings between the two should be good it is just a question of getting the engine in the truck and the suspension beefed up to support it and all the other little problems that will crop up.
                                The suspension shouldn't need a ton of help, though I think the M37 springs are a little softer than the PW springs. But the total weight isn't drastically higher either.

If you want close to highway speeds you need the 5-speed, OD with 4.88 and the low governer on a 4BT will get you around 65 mph. The big question is if you are keeping the divorced TC or not. Only a few of the 5-speed 2WD transmissions will fit without moving the transfer case back in the frame, the ZF-5 being one. It's OD isn't as nice as the early Chevy NV4500 units though.

Comment

Working...
                                X