Power Wagon Advertiser Forums Vintage Powerwagons

Go Back   Power Wagon Advertiser Forums > CIVILIAN DODGE 4X4 TRUCKS > 1972-1993 Dodge 4X4 trucks, Ramchargers & Plymouth Traildusters

Notices

1972-1993 Dodge 4X4 trucks, Ramchargers & Plymouth Traildusters All 1972-1993 4X4 models, includes Dodge Ramchargers & Plymouth Traildusters; military M880 and variants,

Old 09-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #16
KRB64
Registered

Heard of them but have no experience. Have you?
KRB64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #17
KRB64
Registered

Took this week off for Fall Break to go camping but the kids social calendar filled up too fast so I have a few free days to catch up on chores.

Got the transmission and transfercase assembly out of the donor. Geez-o-pete what a PITA! Doing it outside on gravel didn't make it easy. Plus one of the heifers decided to evacuate herself as she walked by the passenger side so I had that to work around that too...

I ended up raising the rear end a foot or so with the tractor to drag the whole mess out.

I'll put my M880 in the shop to install the tranny now that the Jeep KJ diesel is back together and running. The floor is dirt but fairly smooth and level.

In the mean time I'll clean and wash the outside case and start installing seals. I ordered a seal for the shifter but it doesn't look right, we'll see.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #18
712edf
Premium Forum User

I have removed a transmission/t-case combo before on concrete. I can imagine the headaches of doing it on gravel.

I have pulled on engine on gravel, used a second vehicle to pull the hoist back away from the one I was working on.

I envy shops with overhead cranes.

Bucky
Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #19
KRB64
Registered

We just have to be more creative...

I might have screwed up. In my typical backwards fashion, while it was raining last night, I sat and read my Haynes manual. It said to separate the TC from the motor and take it out with the transmission. Otherwise all kinds of horrible things would happen.

Well, it had been so long since I had removed a motor or an auto tranny I left the TC on the motor and slid the tranny backwards off it in the parts truck. I never let the trans hang by it. Do youall think I did any major damage? Can I just take the TC off the truck I'm fixing and put it on this tranny I have out?

If I did screw this one up I guess I'll just drop the tranny in my truck and learn how to rebuild it...

If I didn't, I'm considering seperating the trans and transfercase to hopefully make things more manageable. The combination is heavy!