No announcement yet.

My 75 W600 in Kremmling, Colo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does all that happen at the Sheriff's office like here? If so, They'll just oh and ah and be so impressed that it should be a breeze.

The registering here is the funny part. I bought my M880 out of a junk yard. The State Police had gotten it surplus from the National Guard to use for mariuana work. When I went to apply for the title I got it back and it said it was a 4-door Dodge sedan. I asked the lady what happened and she said she changed it for me cause the cops don't have trucks they have cruisers. And thats the way it stayed!
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
      Does all that happen at the Sheriff's office like here? If so, They'll just oh and ah and be so impressed that it should be a breeze.

The registering here is the funny part. I bought my M880 out of a junk yard. The State Police had gotten it surplus from the National Guard to use for mariuana work. When I went to apply for the title I got it back and it said it was a 4-door Dodge sedan. I asked the lady what happened and she said she changed it for me cause the cops don't have trucks they have cruisers. And thats the way it stayed!
      It PASSED!!!! But the guy isn't a nitpicker like most.

Here in Tx most service stations (not convenience stores that sell fuel), garages & some lube places are state certified inspection stations. The charge for a sticker is $14.50, plus $1 for me because I am bringing in an out-of-state vehicle.

Some urban counties in TX have emissions tests on certain year model vehicles. My county doesnt.

Now the fun begins. Since this rig is a class 6 truck I will pay out the wazzoo to get it titled & registered. Vehicles before the 1981 VIN system seem to screw up their classification methods, as do vehicles bigger than 1 tons or out of state vehicle. I will get asked a hundred questions about "what is that?", "What's is called?"," Whats it weigh, what's its capacity?"etc. Thank the stars its not a diesel or I'd have to pay a TERP tax too.

I will have to a pay a 6.25% sales tax based on the bill of sale that I got because of the truck being over 24 yrs olds. Vehicles newer than that (bought from someone other than a dealer) are taxed based on a chart the state has which determines its value irregardless of what you actually paid.

I do know my yearly renewal (what I will have to pay annually starting in 2012) fee will be over $200. Big toys cost money.

I will deal with the tax office next week. Why ruin a good Friday.

Bucky

Comment

When you go to the tax office for the registration, you will need a weight on the truck. It might be on the old title you got with the truck. If not, you need to get it weighed and take the weight ticket with you.Good luck with the registration process.
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
          When you go to the tax office for the registration, you will need a weight on the truck. It might be on the old title you got with the truck. If not, you need to get it weighed and take the weight ticket with you.Good luck with the registration process.
          Jeff
          Yes I suspected that. The Colorado title has an area labeled CWT/CAP/SIZE and the number 97 under it. So will be shown as 9700lb vehicle assuming the idiot at the desk understands CWT is an abbreviation for hundred weight. But I'm sure there will be a battle of some sorts, I hate the tag office here.

This is a class 6 truck so annual reg fees will exceed $200.

Class 6 trucks are those from 19,000 to 25,999 GVWR I believe. My W600 is 24,500 on the data plate. Class 7-8 req a CDL.

Thanks,

Bucky

Comment

W600

Hey, read the thread end to end, couldn't stop! Plan to seal a deal this morning on a 76 W600, same setup it would appear! How are you making out with yours since it went on the road? Would love to share stories sometime.
            Thanks,
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Carver Speed View Post
              Hey, read the thread end to end, couldn't stop! Plan to seal a deal this morning on a 76 W600, same setup it would appear! How are you making out with yours since it went on the road? Would love to share stories sometime.
              Thanks,
              Jeff
              Hello,

I drive mine 2-3 times a week. I have been going through replacing U-joints & had to do alot of wiring to get it legal, but other than that really just enjoying it. I just love spotting a high dollar lifted 4x4 coming my way, with a jaw dropped owner realizing that all his efforts havent brought his rig up to the statue/attitude of a stock W600.

The more I drive mine the easier it seems to get. Shifts great, steers with more ease & less effort than my 2004 Astrovan. True the massive size keeps me on my toes (don't want to mash anyone), but it drives very well. Just not very fast. My tires are Kelly-Springfield studded snow tires. About 15 yrs old, plenty of tread but tore all to pieces from use with chains & upon lotsa logging roads. I suspect new tires would let me feel more comfortable about going over 40 mph.

I will be replacing the 318 with a 440 next spring. I just got a medium duty big block bell last week, along with flywheel/clutch/PP & all parts.

I would like to see pictures of yours when you get it. Where was it located?

Bucky

Comment

I don't think that I have mentioned here that my W600 originally was used in Canada. Has their little maple leaf safety seal on the door post.

Bucky

Comment

76 w600

Well,
                  I haven"t brought her home yet, I have to pay for it yet but we made a deal so it is a matter of time now! I will post pic's as soon as I can. Mine was originally owned by an electric company in Springfield, Mass. I bought it from a friend who owns a junk yard. He says the owner just gave up on her. It had just arrived when I saw it. Does have some repairable rust in the floors and doors, the drivers door is sprung. Worst thing is the pass side fender is rotted completely off! And the drivers side is fine, weird, there is a real good D100 cab and doors here but there are an awful lot of differences I can see between the two cabs. I have the 318 and a PTO setup to run a hydraulic pump? that runs a hugh winch setup that is still there and appears complete. Haven't begun to figure this truck out yet but it was too cool to pass up. Split rims in the front and not in the rear, looks like yours is this way too? Makes me wonder what they did about a spare when it was new. Is this bolt pattern on these what they refer to as military? So I need at rt fender real bad if anyone following this tread has one, other wise I have to rethink this cab and nose, maybe a 76 Ford would work?
                  More to come, any more W600's out there?
                  Jeff

Comment

If it is 6 lug with 8" across then its whats called Rockwell pattern I believe. Same as what the deuce n halfs & 5 ton military rigs had, although they used top-loader axles.

Best bet for body parts is to buy a complete D500 truck. There are more of them out there & usually cheap. Currently one on Ebay for a grand.

Please no Ford fenders haha, although 70's F600 4x4's used same axles & t-case.

Bucky

Comment

I weighed my W600 today

10,000 lbs even.

4980 front axle, 5220 rear

Minus 200 for myself.

Load included the snow chains hanging on the headache rack & mostly full tank of gasoline. My flatbed measures 8' X 11" and has the pedestal mounted hoist/winch seen in the pictures.

Sideboards were removed & not weighed. That easily saved 200lbs.

Just thought I'd share the info. Vehicle weight is often a source of guessing & speculation. I'm glad to have an accurate figure for my ride.

Bucky

Comment

W500 weight

Interesting Bucky,
                        So I think my door tag reads 25,999. That would be quite a payload at 8 tons!
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Carver Speed View Post
                          Interesting Bucky,
                          So I think my door tag reads 25,999. That would be quite a payload at 8 tons!
                          Jeff
                          My GVW is listed at 24,500. So yep 7 tons. Rear axle I believe is rated for 17,500. I can't recall if that was the spring capacity or the axle itself.

Anyways I wouldnt feel comfortable driving my rig with that kind of load. Brakes & tires arent that great.

Bucky

Comment

440?

Bucky,
                            Did you ever get the big block into that thing?

Comment

Hey how's it goin?

No, I didn't. The 440/540 is still sitting at my dad's.

We bought a house last June. It has been & will be a perpetual expense. It eats much of my "free" time too.

I have for now just been driving the W600 every week or so, just for the heck of it. The ol 318 is still running good. It doesn't like ethanol & I did have to throw a new battery in her a couple weeks ago.

Other than that, nothing has changed.

But the 440 has been on my mind lately. Glad you asked!!!

Bucky

Comment

Bucky,

Thread has languished awhile. Have a question for you.

To your knowledge, is there a larger W-series than the W600? Say in the 800 / 900-series Big trucks?

Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X