No announcement yet.

Diesel operation problem at low temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you running ULSD? That's not much better than water really, IMHO.
    The tighter the feds are getting with emissions, the worse the fuel gets.
    At the OEM I work at (don't want to say who, I'm there now) we recommend cutting it with #1 (ULSK) Kerosene, up to 50% for cold weather operation, no aftermarket additives, and only B5 MAX blend.
    The problem with that is you're losing BTU's, which is losing power, which is losing heat... you see where this is going? Diesels need heat to run. EPA 07 is really interesting, as we need heat to use the aftertreatment, and with ambient temps in the upper middle section of the country (and up North in Canada) going wayyyy below zero, it's playing havoc with the ATD systems.
    And, anti gels don't necessary mix into fuel, especially biofuel, and I've seen them separate out. So now, you've got a witches brew going, with water on the bottom, separating out to biofuels (which are horribly regulated in regards to mixture, you really are better doing it yourself), petrol fuels, additives, etc. Yuk.
    I love diesels, I work with them everyday, but I'm glad my DD is a Hemi. :)

My .002, your mileage may vary.
    JK

Comment

This may sound like a stupid solution,but in addition to plugging in the block heater would it be feasible to position a heat lamp near the fuel tank while parked overnight? A 500 watt halogen work light or a clamp-on drop light with a infrared heat bulb both put out considerable heat with no open flame, and positioned properly could add some warmth to the tank.It works in hen-houses..This cold ain't gonna last forever (remember global warming is due to kill us at any moment)...I'm assuming you have no leaks and no this doesn't work to well going down the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
        My power steering pump moans when it gets really cold also. I haven't tried it this morning where it's -18. Stay inside and drink hot chocolate.
        Whenever I'm in the Sierra's or Northern AZ, every pump on my '02 groans and moans. About 3 weeks ago it was down to 31 here (88 today!) and it moaned and groaned again, Gordon, I'd suspect the cold temps and a weak fuel pump and maybe a yearning to have you read stories of the tropics to her...
        = )

Comment

Lots of good info here, and midMImudder hits on some good points. WELCOME MMM!

I've heard it described that though you use an additive, if you don't use enough then gelling starts to occur, plus separation of water & diesel. The water can start to freeze. Is the fuel filter at bottom of tank, right where the water is?

Adding even 911 can't guarantee that the entire tankful of fuel is suddenly turned into good diesel fuel. Apparently there can still be globules of yuck floating around, waiting to arrive at the fuel filter and/or pump.

From what I've been told: add the solvent and give it some time to work. Also drain water from filter if possible, or better yet immediately change filter. Let the truck run at idle for awhile so the 911/diesel mix or whatever gets into the filter and injection pump. Even though this procedure is followed there may still be large globules of bad stuff floating around tank that haven't yet been dissolved back into useable fuel. If filter isn't changed then it might still be partially blocked until enough of the treated fuel mix runs through to clean it.

Long story short: even doing exactly the right thing doesn't guarantee 100% success every time. Too many variables.

Comment

If there is one thing extreme weather does it's find weak spots.My guess is fuel quality.I buy my gas/fuel from one place and they get theirs from one supplier(I think).What distribution center your supply comes from does make a difference(ask a fuel truck driver).

Comment

All these comments are viable. We used to experience some of these issues back when I was in heavy construction. Cranking issues, even the lack of normal power output after hours of operation. Cold will affect this greatly. The much lesser quality fuels of today are a huge factor, supplements are a must especially in cold temps. Buying a good supplement is like anything else, you get what you pay for. Wal-Mart stuff ain't much. Hydrotex Essentialube & Synergen Preventalube are 2 top quality products used to treat diesel fuels in all seasons. The continual use of either product will have a vast impact on the performance of your engines & the life of the fuel system components, pumps, injectors, etc. I said all the above to say this, if you are simply fueling at the pump & adding no supplement, you are slowly but surely killing your engine & its costly fuel system components. It reminds me of a human who smokes cigarettes, seroius health issues are coming down the road. We have our own bulk fuel tank, when it's time to refill the tank, I personally pour the supplement into the empty tank in the appropriate quantity. The tank is then refilled thoroughly mixing the supplement with the new fuel. These products provide the needed cold weather additives as well as killing off bacterial growth that happens during warm seasons. We have used these supplements for many years, never had to rebuild fuel system components outside normal engine rebuild intervals since we started to use it back in the 70's. Either of these are great products that will do what they claim too. Expect to pay, these aren't dime store quality products. You will come out ahead in the long run. We buy these products in bulk, today that's in 5-gallon cans where it used to be 55-gallon drums during the construction equipment years. A cheap insurance policy compared to the cost of rebuilding todays fuel system components.

Comment

I agree to a point on your suggestion Charles. That point comes here -> $$$

Unfortunately a bulk tank is out of the question for me and often I have no idea where I'll be filling next. That means I have to carry fuel supplements with me, and dose the shine when I refuel. I've had good experiences with the Power Service products and consider them as some of the best, or I wouldn't use them. They're available everywhere including Walmart which is handy.

To the correct seasonal type of Power Service [overdose] I add Marvel Mystery Oil to help clean injectors, pump, tanks, lines & filter and for further lubrication. I also add quality low-ash outboard motor oil for even more lubrication due to current lack of sulphur lube in fuel stocks.

So far, so good, including mild sub-zero, and that's with a VE Rotary IP & diaphragm lift pump. Circumstances govern the situation here and this is the best I can do. Otherwise I would agree wholeheartedly with your [typical] excellent advice.

For all the hassle, bother, stink, rattle and noise oh, how I LOVE these infernal diesels :~ )

Comment

Working...
                X