Paul Cook's fault!!!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Cook's fault!!!...

It's all Paul Cook's fault that I discovered Power Wagons!! (See Paul's site http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/ ). Around 1997-98 I was stationed as a CID Special Agent at Fort Hood, TX, and had recently purchased, as my first Dodge ever, an old M-880.

It was still camouflaged and, still being in the Army, I did NOT want to drive a camo privately owned vehicle! So we (my kids and I) painted it... Zebra striped. (Still camouflaged I guess in a 'Mutual-of-Omaha' sort of way.)

While driving past the little burg of Kempner, TX, one afternoon I spotted a red Power Wagon in a driveway, and pulled our unmarked CID, but still very Gov't looking, car right into the driveway! My partner whow was with me asked, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?"

I said, "MAN, I've gotta' see this truck!!" (He was overly concerned that folks in those parts would shoot at G-men first and ask questions later!) Anyone who knows Paul knows that you really have to twist his arm to get him going on old Dodge vehicles!!

Paul was kind enough to not only fill me in on what would become an obsession of mine over the years, his red and black Power Wagon, but his museum of Military Dodge toys. I explained I had an old '78 M-880 and Paul explained that it was considered a Power Wagon (1978 4x4 Dodge)

As it turned out, this was the Monday right before his '97 (or maybe it was '98?) Texas Power Wagon Rally. Paul invited this newcomer to stop by over the weekend. I was working some of the weekend but did manage to stop by for some photos and got to see all kinds of different Power Wagons and Military toys.

Time warp, three years later; I'm out of the Army, back in NE, and still have a hankering for a Power Wagon (I don't think my wife likes Paul to this day...). While perusing Power Wagons on e-Bay I came acrossed an ad for Power Wagon parts in Crete, NE, about 30 miles from Lincoln.

I called Judd Bietz and asked, if he was selling 'parts', did he actually have trucks too? He sure did and invited me right out! (I'm sure he thought I had money to spend...) Judd became my Obi-Wan to this young Jedi. I knew very little (and still don't know a hill-of-beans) about these trucks, but Judd was kind enough to put up with me and take me under his wing for the 'who-fors' and 'why-comes' of the Power Wagon world.

I came across a nice 1948 Power Wagon near St Louis in a price range I could afford (actually, that my bank said I could afford). Judd and I took our first road trip (Judd didn't know what he was in for!) and trailered 'Sampson' home! My wife even said it was a cute truck! (...cute?...) Since then 'Sampson' has been sold and there are two... okay,... one-and-a-half M-37s in the driveway to replace it. One is my mud buggy toy (V-8, power steering, Gama-goat tires) the other... parts? Restored? Sold? Not sure yet.

Since meeting Paul and Judd I've met so many other folks in the 'Dodge Brotherhood'. Some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet!! Give you the shirt off their backs even if they don't know you! And, through these forums, I've made even more friends that I've never met, yet!! Always willing to help you out, or slam you with a good ribbing when you need it! I love it!! And many thanks to Gordon for all his work! (Long winded, I know, and 'Yes', I talk this much too...)

Dana
Working...
X