Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS & BRAKE lights on

In my 2001 2500 Cummins Ram,

A bit of history.... my clockspring is bad, reflected in the fact that I have no cruise or steering wheel radio controls.

Driving to work this morning in sub-zero temperatures, my ABS light came on. Then, a bit later, the BRAKE light came on. The brakes seem fine.

Is all of this a result of the clockspring problem?

Also, I seem to remember reading something once about clocksprings causing spontaneous deployment of the air bag. Is that true?

Thoughts?

Thank you....
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Gordon,

The clock spring should have no impact on your ABS. Have you been tinkering under the hood at all, perhaps to change your fuel filter? There are vacuum lines that, if disconnected, will illuminate the lights you mentioned. There is such a line located in the area of the brake master cylinder. I supposed extreme cold could also cause a fracture in one of these plastic lines, though it is doubtful.

Does your 2001 have self-diagnosis capability through manipulation of the ignition swithch? You may want to run a diognostic check.

Replacement of the clock spring is pretty straight forward. I have heard of no accidental airbag diployement, so long as both batteries are disconnected prior to service. This is all spelled out in your shop manual.

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Models: 1994 - 2002 (BR/BE) Ram Pickup, 2002 (DR) Ram Pickup

1990 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/Lebaron Sedan
      1995 - 2002 (AB) Ram Van/Wagon
      1990 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon
      1990 - 1993 (AG) Daytona
      1990 - 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Coupe/Convertible
      1990 - 1994 (AQ) Chrysler Maserati
      1990 (AL) Horizon/Omni
      1994 - 2002 (AN) Dakota
      1990 - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Shadow Convertible/Sundance
      1988 - 1995 (AM) Diplomat/Gran Fury/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
      1991 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
      1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
      1994 - 2002 (BR/BE) Ram Pickup
      1995 - 1996 (B7) Stealth
      1998 - 2002 (DN) Durango
      2002 (DR) Ram Pickup
      1995 - 2000 (FJ) Avenger/Sebring/Talon
      1995 - 2000 (JA) Breeze/Cirrus/Stratus
      2001 - 2002 (JR) Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan/Sebring Convertible
      1996 - 2000 (JX) Sebring Convertible
      2002 (KJ) Liberty
      1993 - 2002 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker/300M
      1996 - 2000 (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/ Voyager
      1995 - 2002 (PL) Neon
      1997 - 2002 (PR) Prowler
      2002 (PG) PT Cruiser (International Markets)
      2001 - 2002 (PT) PT Cruiser
      2001 - 2002 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
      2001 - 2002 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/ Voyager
      1996 - 2002 (SR) Viper
      2001 - 2002 (ST) Seebring Coupe
      1997 - 2002 (TJ) Wrangler
      2001 - 2002 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
      1999 - 2002 (WJ) Grand Cherokee
      1995 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee
      1995 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
      1993 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO ALL MODELS EQUIPPED WITH A DRIVERS SIDE AIRBAG.

Discussion:
      Airbag
      When servicing any airbag system, it is essential to follow the proper Service Manual and/or Diagnostic Manual procedures for diagnosing, testing, and replacing of any component. When diagnosing any airbag squib circuit Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) with a DRBIII, the use of the Airbag Load Tool (Special Tool 8310 and 8443) is required. The Airbag Load Tool, used in conjunction with DRBIII are used to isolate and test components and wiring for failure. Only replace the component or wiring that has failed.

NOTE: AIRBAG REPLACEMENT IS NOT REQUIRED EVERY TIME IT IS REMOVED OR WHEN ANOTHER COMPONENT HAS FAILED. USE OF THE DRBIII AND AIRBAG LOAD TOOL WILL DETERMINE IF THE AIRBAG HAS FAILED AND REPLACEMENT IS NEEDED.

NOTE: TECHNICIANS SHOULD RECORD ALL STORED AND ACTIVE AIRBAG SYSTEM FAULT CODES ON THE REPAIR ORDER.

Clock Springs
      Recent analysis of returned clock springs have indicated that prior service may have contributed to the clock spring's failure.

Do not use silicone or any other lubricant spray on or near the clock spring. Lubricants are often used in the clock spring area of the steering column to eliminate noise. Lubricants may have an adverse effect on the clock spring.
      Clock spring centering. Any repair that may disrupt the positioning of the steering wheel with the front wheels will require that the clock spring be centered. This includes clock spring replacement, steering column service, HVAC service, steering gear service, and front suspension crossmember service. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for the clock spring centering procedure.

Comment

heres the link to the air bag recall
        http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/982.htm

Comment

I don't know model year application, but on my '90 there's a valve on the rear driver's side frame rail that is part of the ABS control system. Heard that it must be bled whenever bleeding brakes, and that it is a common source of problems you describe. It's suggested to make sure the connector is clean and tight and when in doubt, bleed it out.

On mine there's a sensor on top of rear axle housing at center which picks up a signal from a sender on ring gear, again, check connections. Though not real likely, this can be damaged during severe offroad use. I know you would NEVER DO THAT!

Many have mentioned a 2 wire connection close to the brake release in cab: to open it and ground one of the wires to correct faulty ABS display. Others like mine have the ABS controller right behind the glove box, and disconnecting the harness there, wait a few seconds, and reconnect can cure faults.

ABS can have circuitry through the VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor on transmission [speedo connection] to gauge vehicle speed and then compare signal from rear axle sensor to detect wheel spin. Check that connection, especially if speedo has been erratic. These seem to have a fairly high failure rate.

There is a FSM instruction on regular flushing intervals for brake fluid entire system, including the flushing through bleeder fitting at that frame mounted valve. Apparently the fluid can pick up copper contamination and water which causes all sorts of problems.

Some have said that disconnecting battery, wait 1 minute, and reconnect can cure some faults. Supposedly there's also an ABS Fault Code Display that can be accessed but I don't have any further info right now. I may be able to track that down if needed.

Comment

A new twist. I got in the truck after work and turned the key to on, to start the grid heaters. The ABS and BRAKE lights came in immediately. I thought this was a bad sign.

I started the truck, they remained on, I backed up, then braked, and the lights went off. They have not been on since.

What does that suggest?

Comment

Brake fluid low???

I once use to have a ford truck when the brake fluid was low the brake light came on. It only came on during hard braking then desided to stay on! I figure I would check the fluid and it was low. How it got low I have No idea? But that was my little problem. Sorry I'm not that helpful.
              Michael

Comment

Well, being as it happened when the vehicle was in motion it could mean:

Glitch in the computer caused the orginal problem

Could indicate there is a bad ground or connection in the electrical system

Or because of the self adjust feature of the brakes it could mean that contaminants in fluid were moved elsewhere.

I'd suspect the first or second items are more likely than the third. I'm no pro on this ABS stuff so pretty much guess work for me.

Comment

I have the same problem with my ford as Plumber and as you do with your dodge. The brake light comes on intermittenly and the ABS light comes on during hard braking. The fluid resivoir was low so I refilled it with no change. I took it into the dealer and they said my truck needed new brakes as the pads are worn out and they could not diagnois the porblem until after. That was last week and I haven't put new pads on yet. It could be something as simple as that or the dealer was looking for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickcall View Post
                    I have the same problem with my ford as Plumber and as you do with your dodge. The brake light comes on intermittenly and the ABS light comes on during hard braking. The fluid resivoir was low so I refilled it with no change. I took it into the dealer and they said my truck needed new brakes as the pads are worn out and they could not diagnois the porblem until after. That was last week and I haven't put new pads on yet. It could be something as simple as that or the dealer was looking for work.
                    I am suspicious of the dealer saying that they must put new brakes on your truck before they can diagnose. That is only one of the reasons I did not take it in to be examined. The other being that I prefer to work on it myself. The only reason I considered having it checked at the dealer is that it is so cold here now and my shop is jammed with other stuff, making it difficult to get inside.

Comment

Working...
                    X