Long Ago & Far Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Ago & Far Away

Actually it was in Maine, 1972, I was stationed at Bucks Harbor AFS (Air Force Station) a radar site in the county Seat of Machais. ME. We had two Dodge M-37's both with winch, or snow plow.

It was another 35 years before I got my mitts on another. The one that I have now I bought for my son, after we spotted it for sale, he drove it one time and didn't like it at all<LOL>. So I finally got my M-37.

While I was overseas I was stationed at CCK, Air Force Base, Republic of Taiwan 69-71, the only thing that came close was the M-43 Crash-Truck/Ambulance, we had 24 or 25, they were everywhere. Most of the other transportation was the M-151 or Dodge school buses.

BTW, I had a good buddy that was cut in half when his jeep rolled over, this was right after the new seat belt laws were put in place. After that nobody wanted to where the things. I hope I didn't go on too long?
    Last edited by Bruce; 06-29-2003, 01:44 PM.

No, you certainly did not go on too long. Feel free to add to this, and tell us more about why you like M-37's.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Military Vs. Civi?

It's a funny thing Gordon, there seems to be more MV's in my neck of the woods, than PW's. I started out looking for a Swivel Frame, I gave up afer a few weeks. I did find some info about them, and it stopped? My Sister and Brother-inlaw live in Vancouver, BC, he had a little info, he is another story in it self, Steel House/Steele Wheels. I tried to post a picture of it, file is too big. The rig he's driving now is a 1957 Osh Kosh, former USAF Fire Truck, now posing as a 4 wheel drive motor home, it is cool too, big head turner.

Their web page is; www.steelwheels4X4.com

I think that is right?
      I passed my M-37 on my way to work for more that 5 years, then one day, it was pulled to the front with a 4 Sale sign, mentioned it to Dorothy, we bought it the same day, $1000.00 under the asking cost

Comment

Bruce,

I know what you mean about finding trucks. I come across very few civilian trucks in Texas although they were fairly common in the oil fields. I looked for a civilian truck for many years while passing on several good military ones. The trucks you can find are the M37's and M715's - there are even some 1/2 ton WC's from WWII still banging around. I think they wind up in the hands of ranchers after the VFD's get done with them. Although there are several local VFD's that still use them for brush trucks, the firemen complain because they are too slow in getting to the fire.

Comment

Mid-West, North-West

Hey Hollis,
          From what I have seen, it looks like they are concentrated in these areas. Also in the Canadian NW, I had read about the Swivel-Frames on Joe's PW Web Page, the only pictures I have ever seen were pen & ink drawings, or ilustrations form Power Co's. in the Canadian Rockies. I think some show up in Kurt Hirte's neck of the woods from time to time, lucky for him!
          TTYL,

Comment

Swivel frame

Several years ago, I was talking to one of my dad's friends from the old oil patch days about Power Wagons and he very clearly described a swivel frame that their company welders built in the shop. He said they installed some heavy cross pieces on the frame at the cab and bed junction, made a big swivel from pipe and then cut the frame so it could pivot. The brake and fuel lines were cut and spliced with flex lines and I think he said they added a U-joint to the drive shaft. He said no one wanted to drive it on blacktop but it was unstoppable off road. I wish I had a picture of it.

Comment

Swivel frame

Bruce, here`s you a swivel frame picture. I believe this one belongs to Jonas in NW USA, he posts here and on dodgepowerwagon.com.
              Attached Files

Comment

Swivel frame

Here`s what it would look like.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey Bruce

Swivel frames? Try this http://imageevent.com/rockinjwranch/...onarmouryellow
                  Carter

Comment

Hey Guys?

Man O' Man,
                    This is an old post!! Nice pic's anyway, I have been off line all week-end, dorothy ran over the cable Saturday morning, kidz were freaking out, no internet, still had cable thank goodness! since I posted in this one before, I have found this page of Joe Cimoch's, REAL complete hope he doesen't mind. http://imageevent.com/powerwagon/swi...ncpt4.rabbit_s
                    Last edited by Bruce; 07-19-2004, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X