46RE to 47RE Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46RE to 47RE Swap

My brother and I pulled home a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 truck equipped with the 5.9L Magnum V8 and 46RE tranny. Tranny is shot, fluid is almost black. My brother has a V10 and 47RE pulled from a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500. I've been researching for compatibility between the 2 transmissions, and it seems both transmissions share most of the same parts. Our main concern is whether the 47RE output shaft will fit onto the existing NP231D transfer case in the 1500. Any input is appreciated.

The bellhousings are different between the 2. The V10 trans will not bolt up to the V8.
    All of the V10 guts will fit into the V8 housing though. If the output shaft ends up being different (its only difference may be spline count) then just use the V8 one with the rest of the V10 clutches/gears/etc. It will all fit in place of the V8 stuff with no mods. The only difference between the 2 is clutch count in the clutch packs and possibly an extra planetary gear in each of the gearsets. It will involve tearing both transmissions down so if you dont have any experience I would definately get a book and do a lot of reading on it. They are simple transmissions, if you know what you are looking at and have the right tools to do the job.
    OR you could just get a rebuild kit for the V8 trans for around $250 and just rebuild it and have a fresh transmission.

Comment

what he said is correct

Comment

Working...
      X