Magnum 5.9 feeling weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnum 5.9 feeling weak

My Magnum 360 in my '95 3/4 ton 4x4 5 speed seems pretty gutless. The truck has 3.50's and sits on 305/70's and runs like... well, a dodge. Perfectly. Is this normal? I know i can spend money and make it go faster but i just was wondering if this is typical of these trucks. It seems to be pretty torquey, and its gets out of its own way to be sure, but i guess i just expected more... and thoughts from those of you with experience with these 'new-fangled' efi magnum motors?

The gears are what is killing it. I had a 2000 Ram 1500 that had the 5.9 and 3.55 gears. I could do 50 in first!?!!! before it would shift, and that wasnt even at red line. I put 33's on it and it was even worse. Yes you can add bolt on goodies and make it considerably better (the Hypertech programmer I put on mine gave me as much power as the Flowmaster cat-back and K&N FIPK) but it was still a big doggy when loaded up. I could pull a 25' 5th wheel down the freeway at 75, but not in overdrive, just too tall of gearing. A re-gear to something like 4.10 would give you a night and day difference not only in power, but increased fuel economy. Extreme 4x4 did a similar exercise with a '96 I believe it was. Just a re-gear brought him up from 8MPG to over 12MPG with no changes in driving style.

Comment

Yes the 55 mph 2nd (manual tranny, don't bother with first on pavement unloaded) is a bit ridiculous. Good to know! I plan on 7" of long arm goodness and 37-38's later on so 4.56's are probably in order. In the mean time, my clutch went out today, nice and peacefully, R.I.P. so I have something to do this weekend.

You pulled a 25' fifth wheel with a half ton?!?

Comment

Yep. It toted it quite well as long as I remembered to leave OD off. Somewhere on the net there is a gearing chart which will help you determine what gearset you will want to run to put your rpm/speed into an acceptable range. For my YJ on 35's I am going 4.56's because it was oh so much fun with 31's on 4.10's with the 318 I put into it.

Comment

A 318 in a yj sounds like fun. I passed through Boise bout a month and a half ago. Nice place, plenty of space to play. I am sure i will re-gear in the future, if i keep the truck. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

just an update if anyone cares. Pulled the tranny this weekend, bellhousing came off in two pieces, and the flywheel has about 40 heat/stress cracks, so its still apart while i locate a bellhousing and figure out if the BH can be resurfaced or if it needs to be replaced.

anyone near shreveport have a bellhousing they wanna get rid of?

Comment

Working...
            X