Spare Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Time

I got a flat tire on my 2008 Dodge Ram. This of course didn't happen when the weather was nicer. Its really cold outside.

I dropped down the spare tire no problem but it was full of dried mud. Now how did that happen?? I wanted to wash it off but my hose was frozen. I used a stick and a broom to get that job done.

When I went to remove the wheel it wouldn't budge. When I went to pry on it I realized the wheel has some plastic shell covering it. The wheel finish is not chrome or polished aluminum but the worlds greatest material, plastic. So now I can't even put a torch on it to help free it up. All normal means of removing a stuck wheel could do damage to my plastic one. I thought about driving it around with loose lug nuts to see if that would help.

No matter what I tried it wouldn't work. The cold steel of all the tools felt like it was draining the life out of me right through my hands. I had to go inside to warm up several times. No heat in the barn.

Then I came up with an idea. I used the scissor jack that came with the truck(more cold steel) along with some cinder blocks and a length of wood to pry the wheel off using the opposite wheel to push against. The wood popped out on the first try but the stuck wheel finally came off on the second try. The photo shows the setup after the wheel popped off.

What a PITA!
    Attached Files

Ahh a little bit of good old fashion ingenuity goes a long way. Sorry to hear it was such a PITA.

Comment

Working...
    X