No announcement yet.

Tired engine do you think it will run ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired engine do you think it will run ?

I picked up a 60 d300 mostly as a parts vehicle for my 59 w200. It was a ran when parked vehicle. So I decided to check the engine a 318 it turned free by hand so did a compression test

dry 60,90,90,70,40
    wet 80,120,120,80

dry 50,40,70,30
    wet 90,80,90,30

From the reading I would guess it has some problems. I did try to start it and it did not kick over but did not even check for spark so I was wondering would it start enough to yard drive it or is compression to low to even fire.

Originally posted by oldmopar View Post
    I picked up a 60 d300 mostly as a parts vehicle for my 59 w200. It was a ran when parked vehicle. So I decided to check the engine a 318 it turned free by hand so did a compression test

dry 60,90,90,70,40
    wet 80,120,120,80

dry 50,40,70,30
    wet 90,80,90,30

From the reading I would guess it has some problems. I did try to start it and it did not kick over but did not even check for spark so I was wondering would it start enough to yard drive it or is compression to low to even fire.
    I am guessing you are offering us two banks of cylinders in your numbers above. I puzzle over the fifth cylinder on the dry line, and don't know which to pick.

But, on to an answer. Looking at compression alone, it could run, though not smoothly, as you will have some very weak cylinders. It may pull itself around the yard, but I would not want to try to accomplish any tasks with the truck.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      I am guessing you are offering us two banks of cylinders in your numbers above. I puzzle over the fifth cylinder on the dry line, and don't know which to pick.

But, on to an answer. Looking at compression alone, it could run, though not smoothly, as you will have some very weak cylinders. It may pull itself around the yard, but I would not want to try to accomplish any tasks with the truck.
      I should have written it this way

1 3 5 7
      dry 60,90,,70,40
      wet 80,120,120,80

2 4 6 8
      dry 50,40,70,30
      wet 90,80,90,30

Thanks I was thinking it should run but was looking for another opinion I am just looking to be able to move it around yard for now. The sheet metal is mostly shot but all the running gear except for the engine is the same as my other truck and this has the 4.10 rear while my other has the 4.89. This also has a interesting pto winch as it was a old tow truck.
      Ed

Comment

Once you get it running your compression might improve. You could have piston rings that are varnished and stuck in place.

Comment

I'd dump some Marvel in the sparkplug holes and let it soak. Maybe dump a bunch of it into the engine oil as well. Turn it over a few times and then let it sit for a while. While it is cranking, make sure you are getting fuel into the fuel filter. You may be better off using a temporary can, then the tank. Just depends what the tank is like.

Then make sure you got spark and then try to start it. It will start. Let it idle and just let it sit. You may have to dump fuel down the carb. All depends on the shape of the carb.

It will run and as Old Dodge said, the number will probably increase as things loosen up. Once it's warm, I'd shut it down and drain the oil and change the filter. Put new oil in and go from there.

Pieter

Comment

Tried to start today but no spark at coil replaced points condenser, rotor still no spark. Though maybe the coil resistor tried a 4 prong one using 2 prongs still no spark. Ran a jumper from the battery side of the relay to coil still no spark. So will have to get another 12 volt coil and see what happens.

Comment

Its running now to test the winch

As expected all replies were correct and I did get it running blowing smoke as I expected. Was getting about 22 llbs of oil pressure at idle dropped to abut 18 after a bit. Still cannot move it as the clutch hydraulics are not working maybe just the slave unit but not sure how much time I want to put into a parts truck but would like to be able to move it around the yard.
              Well with it running I should be able to test the winch
              Speaking of the winch its a old one has the name Highway on it anyone ever here of it
              Here are a few photos of the winch
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X