1998 1500 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 1500 4x4

I looked at buying a real nice '98 1500 4wd this weekend with 73,000 miles, Magnum 360, loaded with leather seats. What kills me is I have read numerous complaints on the tranny's (46 RH? RE? - not sure) and torque converters. Also the steering columns, rear ends and freeze plugs were supposively other common problems.

This truck does have a steering problem right now that I have found. Is this one of those particular year trucks to steer clear of?

Doug

On the trans, the 46RH is a fine transmission to a point. The point is on the head of many owners. The huge majority abuse it by forcing it to pull too much load in overdrive, when they should be in 3rd direct.

Right along with that, very, very few guys give an auto trans a fighting chance: fluid flush & filter change MUST be performed yearly at the least, more often under extra heavy duty use. In addition, an auxiliary tranny cooler, the largest you can get from B&M, really extends the life.

The torque converters most often fail because of continual overheating, filthy fluid, abusive use and neglect. A tranny temperature gauge tells you everything you need to know, but maybe 1 in 10,000 [if that] owners install one with an additional tranny cooler.

Comment

I agree with what JimmieD said, and I'll add this:

Don't use a 1/2 ton for 3/4 ton work, that'll kill the trans faster than anything. I worked at the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership as a tech 2000-2004, and the only trans issues with Rams we ever saw were 1/2 tons that were used for PULLING WAY TOO MUCH.

Keep fresh fluid/filter in 'em and they'll be fine, just don't overload the truck on a regular basis and you're good to go. :)

Good luck!

JS

Comment

Chrysler should have stuck with the 727's. I have a 1 ton w/ 440 / 727 that is used hauling my backhoe, trackloader or whatever it can handle. Sure don't have to worry about that 727 giving any problem. I passed on this truck since I can't use it like a truck without worrying about hurting it. What a shame, it sure is a fine looking truck. I will stick with the 80's and earlier when they built something bullet proof.

Doug

Comment

Working...
        X